Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sheryl

It is not the badge you show. Looks like a T at the top of the badge. He appears to have Sergeant stripes. I have managed to send you a photo. Hope you can open it. Looks like it was originally on a pass I'D or something.

If he is the John Henry Harpham, died age 73 at the Angel Hotel, Corby, April 1940 he served as a Sergeant in the Lincolnshire Volunteers WW1 and also in the Royal Fusiliers. A report of his funeral appears in the Grantham Journal, 3 May 1940.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Rats! I was quite pleased with that line I was building!

The stamp on that photo is for the British Consulate in Cologne.. He must be at least 40 or more.

sheryl

Thanks. He does look older there and if the wording on the stamp gives clues about his age being 40, then it must be about 1906.

sheryl

Yes he is that same John Henry Harpham. He was the landlord of the Angel Hotel. We have met the present private owners who are renovating it. He and Emily had five children, William Ellerby, Bernard Franklin, Edith Olive (my grandmother), John Leonard (died in infancy) and Dorothy Mildred. William was the father of John Franklin Harpham who was in the Navy and died in 1942. My dad was in the RAF in the 1950' s.
    Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Where did you get it? Could I have found it on this site if I kept looking, only just joined? Where can I find more information about the Lincolnshire Volunteers and the Royal Fusiliers please? Also, is it possible to have of photo of that shoulder badge? How can I get a copy of the article about him in the Grantham Journal after his death?

sheryl

Hey, this has gone quiet

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by sheryl View Post
    Yes he is that same John Henry Harpham. He was the landlord of the Angel Hotel. We have met the present private owners who are renovating it. He and Emily had five children, William Ellerby, Bernard Franklin, Edith Olive (my grandmother), John Leonard (died in infancy) and Dorothy Mildred. William was the father of John Franklin Harpham who was in the Navy and died in 1942. My dad was in the RAF in the 1950' s.
    Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Where did you get it? Could I have found it on this site if I kept looking, only just joined?
    By 'this site' do you mean British-Genealogy? If so, the answer is likely to be 'no'. British-Genealogy is a forum for helping people find their ancestors and as such does not hold any datasets. (e.g. the complete 1861 census)
    If you mean Forces War Records, our sponsors, then the answer in your case is probably not, though FWR do hold datasets. See here.

Where can I find more information about the Lincolnshire Volunteers and the Royal Fusiliers please?
    Google. Unless anyone has a specific link to particular 'thing', that's what the rest of the forum members do.

Also, is it possible to have of photo of that shoulder badge?
    Pass.
    How can I get a copy of the article about him in the Grantham Journal after his death?
    It's available on Findmypast (FMP). I thought you might be able to access the article on a PAYG sub, but I don't think you can. However, you should be able to access it if you join for a month (which is actually cheaper than PAYG). Might be worth just checking with FMP though that you can access the British Library newspapers with a monthly sub.

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Put the picture on Great War Forum, they should be able to identify the badge and give you a picture of it.

regards

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12