cathedral1

Default John J Behan WW1

Hello Christina
    i've just signed on to forces war records but everything i have seen i have found out already from other websites such as WGC. My great grandfather John Joseph Behan died on the 23rd April 1916. He was of the Royal Irish Rifles. He was mentioned in despatches for the Battle of the Marne and i have that certificate. What i wanted to know was what other medals would he have been awarded. He was enlisted by 1914 and if you can find out any other information. He was listed as serving in Dover which is where he met by great nan and we are the result! Look forward to anything you can give me. Very grateful regards
    Chris

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

his medal card will tell you which medals he was awarded download for a fee here,,,or you can get it from Ancestry if you have a subscription,,,or if you are near a library with Ancestry library edition.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D6302535

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

or I can email it to you

Hello Chris and welcome to British-Genealogy

I am starting off puzzled here (usual state with me ) I have searched for a John J Behan on the CWGC site Here and the only John Behan I can find who died on 23 April 1916 was in the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars (Worcester Yeomanry) I also searched using just the name Behan and same result.
    His Medal Roll Index Cards is on either ancestry or The National Archives, both require payment but ancestry does have a free version at libraries so your local library may have it.

John J Behan
    Regiment or Corps - Royal Irish Rifles
    Regimental number- 8651

He received the Victory, British and 14 star medals. There is also more information on the card which is WW1 'army speak'

Christina

ps I moved your post to a thread of its own in History Topics WW1 1914-1918 and gave it the title John J Behan WW1
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

cathedral1

Thank you Christina very much. i will keep plodding along and will get there in the end. Thank you for your guidance

Hello

I finally found the CWGC entry by putting in J J Behan and his regiment number. It wouldn't come up any other way for me. Weird.

I can't see any service record for him on ancestry and they are the only site licensed to do this.
    There is service record for a John Joseph Behan but the transcription says he married in 1918 so can't be your man. This record is one of those saved from the fires and is very damaged. I have tried finding where it says this man married in 1918 but can only see references to discharge papers being held up in that year. In your searches to find information on your great granddad it may be as well to keep in mind that there was another Joseph John Behan from Dublin. This one's father was Michael.

The National Archives has a guide to war diaries which may help with general information.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs