Thread: Help please

cliffc

Default Help please

Can any one help i'm trying to find records for my father in law his name is Thomas Long he served in the 5th battalion royal berkshire regiment and was at juno beach in 1944, i have tried but can't find anything on here could be me i'm new to this any help would be appreciated thanks

Welcome to British-Genealogy cliffc

Not being able to find WW11 service records is not because you are new to searching but because they are not online yet. The MOD still holds them and this 'sticky' explains who can apply and what paper work you will need. So many people are now researching the military service of their ancestors that you are probably in a for long wait to receive them.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

cliffc

Thanks Christina thats a shame as my father in law passed away two weeks ago and wanted to find out as much as i could about his war record not giving up though its amazing whats on here. Thanks again regards cliffc

Firstly, please accept my condolences for both of you...

Second, note that when you do apply for a copy of his records (and the sooner you get into the queue, the sooner they'll come), because he died so recently, it'll have to be done by next of kin -your spouse for example.
    It's worth doing, i got my Dad's a few years ago..!

cliffc

Thank you so much for your kind words, we will get the forms sent off, i have sent a reply before this one so you may get two reply's me and computers don't seem to get on, thanks again Lesley. Regards cliffc