leegant

Default Looking for Help to find a photo!

Hello,

I am desperately trying to track down a photograph of a soldier from WWI. His name was Albert Tune, service no. 4745. He was a member of the 1st/6th Bn of the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment. He was from Sutton, and his name is on a memorial there. He died in The Battle of the Somme on August 28th 1916.

His niece has never seen a photo of him and me, together with his great niece, are trying to track one down for her.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on how is the best way to do this?

Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

Thank-You.

Lee
    Last edited by leegant; 22-08-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added information

The only luck I've had with WW1photos, other than family members, was by searching local newspapers from the time. Some of them ran obituaries of local men who's been killed in the war.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

leegant

Hi Lesley, thanks for your advice - I have indeed been scouring the local papers but with no luck so far.
    Genieus, thank you - I had already seen that thread and have been talking with the very hardworking Andy Wade from Men of Worth. Unfortunately he was not able to help me either. Very elusive photo!

Thanks for your replies though, any other ideas I am all ears!

Lee

A fountain of knowledge

I wish you luck.
    It's a very common request, but typically service photos weren't taken as standard practice until the 1950's in fact, so most that we see (at FWR) are those sent in by relatives or regimental organisations/museums or local newspapers (which have names to them) or in publications of the time or books (which might mention the regiment and even battalion but never usually the individual names).

Usually the home pictures are taken in photographers studios and sometimes the photographers props were used -which doesn't help (swagger sticks, officers hats and exotic backgrounds mislead!).

We are often asked for locations which in most cases are impossible - a barn or horse in the background with no other landmarks.........errrrr.

The Black Watch seem to have photographed all of their men before departure for the Anglo Boer War - the guy at their Perth museum had a big book of them, including GUncle George. I don't know how common that was, but it strikes me that if a WW1 casualty was a professional soldier who'd been to the Cape, it might be worth asking their regimental archives about the earlier period.