Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 52nd Foot Soldiers 2nd Battalion

I have just found some records on a well known site that records one of my ancestors in 1811 and 1812. He is William Covenrty born c 1792 in Bucklebury, Berkshire. It states he enlisted in the 52nd Foot Soldiers 2nd Battalion but under the source reference it says Canada British Regimental Register Of Service.
    can any one tell me if the 52nd Foot Soldiers 2nd Battalion has anything thing to do with Canada or is that some anomaly of source reference.
    Many thanks

thewideeyedowl

Hi Elma

I think this will explain the timeline: https://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous...light-infantry. If you accessed records via the Big A, then be aware that they seem to have Canada 'on the brain'.

You could also run a search for (52nd Foot Regiment 2nd Battalion) on Discovery, the online catalogue of TNA.

Swooping off.

Owl

apowell

Hi,

I found William Coventry 1st Btn 52nd Regiment - Waterloo medal (ancestry)

This most likely your fellow.

Reagrds
    Adrian

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Owl and Adrian. Yes this is my William Coventry on Ancestry and looking through the link owl sent it seems the battalion were not in Canada at that time, as I thought.
    Ancestry like to be confusing. It seems they have lumped the records of the battalion together as at one point they were there. I will now check out National Archives. Thanks again Elizabeth