Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Question Family History Societies

I wonder how they all decide what the annual Membership subscription is ...... is there a North/South divide here, as with property prices?

I'm a Member of Huddersfield FHS (£10) and Wakefield FHS (£10 but £8 for 'oldies' like me!) Cleveland FHS is £8 and not surprisingly, some of the 'London' areas are £12 ..... but our capital City prices for nearly everything are a rip-off!

However, why have Cornwall FHS and Somerset FHS jumped on their band-wagon?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Famous for offering help & advice

Another £12 one is the North of Ireland FHS, and members receive only 2 journals a year, compared to the 3 or 4 that most societies produce. On the other hand, the Calderdale FHS (for the Halifax area) has an internet-only membership category, which is only £5. You don't actually receive a paper journal for that - just an email with a link to an online version.

I once wondered if the fees related to the costs incurred in publishing transcripts, indexes etc - but the NIFHS list is only a fraction of the size of the Calderdale one, so it doesn't seem to be that. Maybe it's more to do with sales - the more they publish and sell, the less they need to charge in membership fees.

Arthur

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy
    Maybe it's more to do with sales - the more they publish and sell, the less they need to charge in membership fees.

Arthur
    I don't know about that Arthur ...... Cornwall FHS has more members than Wakefield FHS definitely (can't remember offhand about Huddersfield FHS) and I would guess that more Overseas Members have D&D's from Cornwall, when the tin started to run out and they emigrated, than Yorkshire, where coal was mined.

I get 4 journals a year from both Societies, it's just that Cornwall FHS at £12 p.a. seems a bit steep to me, when Cornish Forefathers ....... who also issued 4 journals a year, used to do research for Members too at a cost of £20 p.a. so real value for money!

In case you're wondering, I was a member of Cornish Forefathers, Pam who ran it, only gave it up because she started Parish Chest and didn't have the time to do both.
    Good luck with your research everybody!