Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roberth1

Default Alfred and George Godwin

Hi, my name is Robert and I live in Johannesburg , South Africa.

I have only recently taken an interest in the family history and I am trying to find out more about my grandfather , Alfred Alexander Godwin, who came to South Africa in the late 1800's with the 2nd Gloster Battalion.
    He had a brother and all I know about him is that his name was George Godwin, and he lived in Rosebank, Gillingham, Dorset.
    If anyone can advise me of where I should start to try and trace these individuals I would be grateful.

The 1911 census RG14; Piece: 12176; Schedule Number: 11 (TNA Crown Copyright) shows a George Randall Godwin, aged 58, with his wife Ellen Hayden Godwin, living at Rosebank, Wyke, Gillingham and children Ethel Kate (26) and Harry Greton (28). Both George and Harry were described as auctioneers and valuers. George was born in East Stour.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

According to a public tree on Ancestry the son's name was Harry Galton Godwin. The writing on the census was very difficult to read.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi
    familysearch.org has this

Marriage 11 Jun 1921 at Durban, Natal, South Africa Alfred Alexander Godwin age 38 born c1883
    spouse Grace Helen Barnes age 22 born c1899

There are quite a few Godwins mentioned. Whether they have anything to do with your family...?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This looks interesting
    1901 RG13 Piece 2187folio 96
    Tregantle Fort
    East Antony St James the Great Cornwall
    Alfred Godwin 18, born China about 1883
    Lance Corpl (Corporal)

1891 RG 12/1923/131 page 9
    Main Road Congresbury Somerset
    William Rattle 61 gen labourer Banwell Somerset
    Ann wife 60 Yatton Somerset
    Henry son 16 painter's apprentice Claverham Somerset
    Emma Godwin 31 daughter Claverham
    Alfred A Godwin 8 grandson
    (relationship to head of household) born Shanghai China
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 22-08-2014 at 8:49 PM. Reason: Changing Battle to Rattle in light of subsequent posts
    William Burroughs

The National Archives has his service record Here which says he was born in Kolentsue Shanghai. He joined up in 1900 which would fit with the censuses I found. You can download the record for a small fee.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

#5 above with Emma GODWIN & son Alfred A living with grandparent RATTLE looks good

Marriage (on Ancestry)
    Cathedral of Holy Trinity Shanghai
    12 November 1883

Alfred Albert GODWIN 44 widower Mariner of Shaghai father Silas GODWIN Farmer

Emma RATTLE 23 spinster of Shanghai father William RATTLE Gardener

w Thomas James BALLARD / Alice Lydia EDWARDS

1851 UK census ( free to look at)

Reference Class: HO107; Piece: 1927; Folio: 370; Page: 11
    Heathfield ? Yarcombe
    Silas Godwin 55 Victualler & Farmer 80 acres
    Martha R Godwin 25
    Erit E Godwin 22
    Emma M Godwin 20
    George Godwin 15 Emma Victoria's father see 1911
    Alfred Godwin 13 b Blandford Dorset

I do not think the George mentioned by Robert is a GODWIN family member

Marriage 20 October 1902

Arthur Albert GODWIN 65 widower mariner of 4 Eastbourne Terrace Paddibton father Silas GODWIN dec'd farmer

Emma Victoria DAVIES 41 widow same address father George William GODWIN Provision Merchant
    w Agnes Mary CARNELL / Elizabeth ? HOW

This may be the other GODWIN connection

In 1911 Emma Victoria can be found at
    116 Bathurst Gardens, Kensal Rise, Willesden N W

GODWIN George W 76 Blandford Dorset
    GODWIN Emma 70 Wellington Somerset
    GODWIN Emma Victoria 48 widowed on a visit form China

janbooth

Ancestry have the actual parish register baptismal record for George Randall GODWIN which reads:

6 January 1854 at East Stour, Dorset George Randall GODWIN son of Walter & Jane GODWIN, East Stour, Farmer, Auctioneer

but given that Alfred was not born until 1882, I'm not exactly sure how this George GODWIN will tie in with him.

Unfortunately, Alfred's Military record (also on FindmyPast) does not give his father's name in the Next of Kin part of his record just an address in Paddington, Middlesex and I cannot find a GODWIN at this address in the London Electoral Registers. Will keep looking though.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I understand that

Findmypast have an offer of £1 membership

&

23/25 August Ancestry are free this weekend I cannot see the actual notices on the sites.....

janbooth

The address on the marriage record for Alfred Albert GODWIN & Emma Victoria DAVIES in 1902 at Paddington is not the same address as that given on Alfred Alexander's Military record for his father as next of kin. However, the 1902/3 London Electoral Register shows a Mrs Sophia DAVIES as resident at the address shown on Alfred Alexander's Military Record as that of his father, so could she be a relative of the Emma Victoria DAVIES who married Alfred Albert GODWIN in 1902?? The 1901 census of Paddington (RG13/13, folio 118, page 55) shows a Sophia DAVIES, widow, aged 62 born Chiddingley, Sussex as a Lodging House Keeper at 9 Cambridge Place, Paddington

An image of the original marriage certificate for Alfred Alexander & Grace Helen is available to view on Family Search but does not give any parents' details so that doesn't help to establish Alfred Alexander's parents either.

However, given that Alfred Alexander GODWIN born c1882/3 in Shanghai is staying with his maternal grandparents William & Ann RATTLE in the 1891 census, then his mother Emma almost certainly died between 1891 and 1902 when Alfred Albert GODWIN remarried in Paddington to yet another Emma, if indeed Alfred Albert GODWIN is Alfred Alexander's father.

Emma RATTLE is not with parents William & Ann in the 1881 census of Congresbury but is with them in the 1871 census of Yatton. Aha, she is working as an Under Housemaid in the 1881 census of Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire (RG11/2504, folio 58, page 23). But I cannot find a marriage between an Emma RATTLE & a GODWIN between 1881 & 1883 on the GRO Index.

Will look further

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast