arthurmoss11th

Default Wounded in Action and Hospital lists

Hi there,
    I have been researching my Great Uncle from WW1 who was wounded in battle and later died of his wounds at home. I have found the basics from his war records but was wondering if there was a casualty list of wounded soldiers that were shipped back to Britain or any Hospital Army records that could be researched. I have collected the information from various sites but the most useful being a site by mike briggs, Chesterfield Sherwoods on the Somme.
    Here I found my Great Uncle as a casualty around the 1st October 1916 during the battle of Transloy/Le Sars. He later died from wounds on 23/10/16. I would like to know which hospital he could have been admitted to. All I know he was at a Glasgow Hospital and later died from his wounds.
    The details I have for my Great Uncle are:

Arthur Moss, Lance Corporal 18994 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. Died of wounds 23/10/1916 aged 26 yrs.
    Was admitted to a hospital in Glasgow and buried at Burbage Cemetary Buxton, Derbyshire.
    For anbody researching Sherwood Foresters in WW1, I would recommend the site by Mike Briggs.This is based on the book ' The Men from the Greenwood' which can be read free on-line. Here I found despatches where my uncle was mentioned.
    First time post ! Thank you, Adrian Moss.

Welcome to British-Genealogy Adrian

Do you have your great uncle's death certificate? If he died in hospital then it should be named as the place of death. Whether the hospital still exists or the records from that far back are still available is another thing.
    I did do a free search on ScotlandsPeople for a death of an Arthur Moss in 1916 in Glasgow City and there was one result but without purchasing credits to view the image I don't know if it is your great uncle.

I am sure others will have more suggestions for you.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

arthurmoss11th

Hi Christina,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have my great uncle's death certificate. I'm the baby of my dads family and my Great Uncles war medals, dead man's penny etc were passed onto my cousin who was in the forces so he has these belongings but no death certificate. The only infomation I have about the hospital is from the ntlworld.com/mikebriggs which gives a detailed accout of the 11th battalion Sherwood Foresters. Here it says:
    On Monday, October 23rd, news was received that L/Cpl Author Moss had died of wounds in a Military Hospital in Glasgow. He was the son of Mrs and Mr J Moss of the Green and enlisted in November 1914. He was buried in Burbage Churchyard on Thursday 26th October.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of where to look and I will keep researching and will definately look at the ScotlandsPeople you mentioned.
    Thanks once again, Adrian.

Hi
    The Long Long Trail site has a list of military hospitals in WW1, in Glasgow alone there were 12. Hopefully his death certificate will name the one in which he died.

Do come back and let us know how you get on or if you need more help and thank you for telling us about Mike Brigg's site on the Sherwood Foresters

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs