Thread: 254 Rly Op Unit

gashmore

Default 254 Rly Op Unit

A freind has discovered a photograph of her father standing in front of a building that has a sign saying "HQ 254 Rly Op Unit". We think the photo is taken sometime in the 1940s. We are unable to locate any information indicating what "HQ 254 Rly Op Unit" means, which Division, Brigade, or Corp it was part of, etc etc. Can anyone enlighten us as to what "HQ 254 Rly Op Unit" actually means and where we might find some information the organisation? We strongly believe that "Rly" refers to railways but any and all help to point us in the right direction would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that it's Railway Operations Unit.

Is he in uniform?

gashmore

That sounds promising! He is in uniform...Army....definitely an Officer. It looks like he has a Major's crown on his shoulder although the picture is rather grainy. It could be a single "pip". We think we have found his record but all it says is that he was in the Royal Engineers. Trying to find any further detail on the Unit that he appears to be affiliated to in the photograph have drawn a blank. Thanks for starting us on the road to discovery!

A fountain of knowledge

Royal engineers were certainly the railways operations units parent corps, this link still exists I believe?
    I only remember as many years ago in a previous career as a railwayman I remember the territorial army asking for recruits from anyone who had train operations experience.

Heres the orbats for 1940 which mention these companies below the RE parent corps.
    (order of battle -the arrangement of the army in wartime- FWR library has a full set of these too.)
    https://www.orbat.com/site/uk_orbats/...20War%20II.pdf

Have you got his own full service records yet? These should only be available via the MOD and are a bit of a wait but worth having.

ARCRE_UK

Gashmore, are you able to post a copy of the photo? It might help with identification. If it say '254' then perhaps it's from later in the war rather than 1940.

Lee

gashmore

Here we go

Irrelevant question - are the dark uniforms civvy railway?

ARCRE_UK

Looks post-occupational to me, perhaps 1946 to 1948. The dark uniforms are probably German workers.
    Can't quite tell the medal ribbons worn but looks like the Staff Sgt has Second World War ribbons, 39/35 star, etc.