Wilson_Hunter

Post Flight Crew of 90 Squadron killed France 13 A

Hi Good People,

I am researching my uncle Flight Sergeant WILSON, STANLEY ALAN : Service Number - 419354 :who was killed on the 13 April 1944. I am looking for information of the other young men who where killed with him, listed below.

TOPPING, WALTER ERIC
    United Kingdom Sergeant ( Air Gnr. ) 1576629 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 13/04/1944 Age: 22 2.AC.2-6

WATSON WILLIAM ALEXANDER FERNIE
    United Kingdom Sergeant ( Flt. Engr. ) 1821732 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve13/04/1944 Age: 23 2.AC.2-6

WILLCOCKS, HERBERT FRANCIS
    United Kingdom Sergeant ( W.Op./Air Gnr. ) 1391875 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 13/04/1944 2.AC.2-6.

LOWE, LESLIE ALLEN RALPH
    Canadian Warrant Officer Class II ( Air Bomber) R/158410 Royal Canadian Air Force 13/04/1944 2.AC.2-6.

CAMPBELL, WILLIAM WRIGHT
    United Kingdom Flight Sergeant ( Nav. ) 568247 Royal Air Force 13/04/1944 2.AC.2-6.

GARDINER, FREDERICK GEORGE
    United Kingdom Pilot Officer ( Pilot ) 54461 Royal Air Force 13/04/1944 Age: 21 2.AC.2-6.

Any information that will help tell the story of these men is what i'm after.
    Thanks

Wilson_Hunter.

The plane was a Stirling, serial number LJ483, identifier XY-V from Bomber Command out of Tuddenham on a drop to the French Resistance for SOE.

You are missing one - F/S Alan Stanley Wilson (air gunner) 419354 RAAF, aged 27 2.AC.1

Judging by the fact that you give their grave reference numbers in the Roye New British cemetery, I assume that you already have the family information from the CWGC database?

It's helpful to let us know what's already been checked.
    Unfortunately, the MOD still has WW2 records . See HERE

Wilson_Hunter

hi Lesley Robertson .

F/S Alan Stanley Wilson is my uncle, i have his service record and war diary .

thanks for your reply

Wilson Hunter

Since CWGC says where at least some of them came from, try looking for newspaper reports from around the time of their crash.

SueNSW

Not exactly what you were asking for and you may know this already - but from a French site - as Lesley said the operation was for SOE to parachute arms and equipment. The location was 1km south east of the village of Roye sur Matz in the departement of Oise
    and the description of the circumstances is given as follows:

"avion en flamme - le pilot tente un atterrissage sur le ventre mais l'appareil devient un brasier dans lequel périssent les 7 hommes"

the translation is - "plane in flames - the pilot tried a belly landing but the aircraft became an inferno in which the 7 men perished"

The cemetery where they are interred is about 140 km north in the departement of Somme

Wilson_Hunter

Hi SueNSW

this is exactly the type of info im after, so thank you.

was told as a boy the the plain did burn so i am beginning to sort out the fact from the family story.

i was wondering if you had a link to the French site?

Thanks

Wilson Hunter

ARCRE_UK

Wilson,

Next of kin could request details from the RAF casualty branch investigation of missing men files obtainable through the Air Historical Branch. https://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/contactus.cfm

Although not sure what the current position is as the 'casualty packs' are in the process of transfer to the National Archives (record series AIR 81: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils?uri=C16484). Some from 1939/40 are already available but it is going to be a slow process probably taking a few years to transfer them all. The information contained in these files can also be distressing.

Lee