thomasdaly

Default Researching my grandafather

Hi Folks
    Im trying to find my grandfather Michael Joseph Walsh he served in the Munster Fusiliers and fought at the Somme in the battle of Aubers Ridge was wounded but returned home safely.

I desperately would love to find his war records or any information on his time in the army but my searches keep coming back blank, I just cannot find him. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your help

There are 16 Michael Walshes with medal cards for the Royal Munster Fusiliers. You need some more info to make him stand out from the crowd (no middle names are given).

Do you know where his medals are? If you can get hold of them, have a look around the rim, it should give his service number.

thomasdaly

Hi Lesley
    Thanks for the reply, the only other information I have is his date of birth 28/08/1894 or 1895 and that he lived in Derra East, Listowel, Co Kerry, Ireland

thomasdaly

Default Researching my grandafather

Hi Folks
    Im trying to find my grandfather Michael Walsh he served in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and fought at the Somme in the battle of Aubers Ridge was wounded but returned home safely this is the info we have to date but we would like to know more if its possible.

His Name: Michael Walsh DOB:28:10:1984 Enlisted: 13:2:12 Discharge:16:5:16 ( He was wounded and sent home would love to know more about this is possible) it says on his War Badge card: he was a A/Corpl ( is this acting Corporal or Lance Corporal)

His regiment was the Royal Munster Fusiliers Regt No: 2/9578 ( does this mean he served in the 2nd Battalion)

Any help would be great

Thanks and god Bless all the lads who served.

Thomas

thewideeyedowl

Hi there...

This is just for background, but I have found a site dedicated to the RMF: https://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.co.uk/home/4582971842. Lots of info there, but no searchable database. (Sorry!)

Then head off to The Long Long Trail, https://www.1914-1918.net, and put 'Royal Munster Fusiliers' in the search box. You will get info on how they were organised and who was where when, e.g. the 2nd Battalion went to Le Havre on 14 August 1914.

This might give you some leads - let us know if you find any useful snippets of info.

Owl

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

A/Corpl = Acting Corporal (2 stripes, Lance only 1)

regards

Robert