Thread: Inverness

deedle

Default Inverness

Hi, I am trying to find out what regiments/divisions etc would have been based in the Inverness area in 1945, any idea how I find this out?
    Thanks

deedle

ive already discovered RAF 527 squadron were there, but cant find any details of that squadron on this site?

Hello deedle and welcome to British-Genealogy

The National Archives has a WW11 guide Here which may help, otherwise putting RAF527 squadron in to a search engine brings up quite a few results.

Chrisina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deedle View Post
    Hi, I am trying to find out what regiments/divisions etc would have been based in the Inverness area in 1945,
    The Cameron Highlanders were based there - see this site - https://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/camerons_history.htm - 4th paragraph down

It states - '... the Cameron Highlanders (have) a Depot at Cameron Barracks in Inverness. Cameron Barracks is now the home of our Regimental Headquarters'

There is a note in last para that says full histories are available from the RHQ at Inverness.

Try googling Cameron Barracks for more details and images.

Although he was English, along with many others, my father served in the Cameron Highlanders in WW2. He always took pride in insisting it was 'The Queen's Own' Cameron Highlanders

Cheers, MTS
    Last edited by emmteeyess; 18-08-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added note about full history at RHQ