LMsFamily

Default Hi from Aussie Newbie

HI All,
    Very new to this wonderful site, I have already located some useful information many Thanks

I do have a question I hope I haven't overlooked this in the FAQ's but if I want to search for a name including first and surname will it show all for each i.e searching Florence Buckland will it show all Florences and Bucklands I can not seem to get it to show just Florence Buckland

I apologise if I should not ask this on here

Have a great Day everyone

Welcome to British-Genealogy

I have just tried a search using my ancestor's first and last names and it seems to bring up anyone with either the last or first names. I also tried putting " before and after but that didn't bring up any results at all so I thinkthat it is a matter of wading through all the posts that come up from searching.

I am not the most savvy of searchers so I am going to pose your question to the other Mods and see what they say.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

LMsFamily

Thankyou Christina for the welcome and info. I have found the same….Its pouring down here so back to wading it is

Thankyou again

L-M

A fountain of knowledge

Good question.

The search tries to be intelligent (as all automated systems do I think?) however if an exact match isn't found it will show alternatives.

Unless an exact match is shown (i.e. 1st and Surname in full and correctly spelt) there is no record on our systems for sources we have currently recorded.

I can confirm there is no record for Florence Buckland on the system regrettably.
    Where was she serving and in which era?

Hi
    yes I have been locked inside all day, wind, rain and cold. Yesterday it was 23 degrees! 27 on the car thermometer after leaving it in the supermarket car park for half an hour. Weird.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Well, well, just shows how we looked at the question from different angles Tim.

I assumed a Brit-Gen search and you, of course, an FWR search.

Either way the question has been answered I think.

Christina
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

d'oh, yes because I saw the 'search' parameters discussed I thought it was referring to FWR?

LMsFamily

Thank you Tim and Christina you have both answered the question for me, I am sure there will be many more times for help, in general and Military

Cheers
    L-M

You can ask Google Advanced Search to search for exact terms within one particular website, in this case british-genealogy.com . Or you can do it by just typing site: before the URL following a term in inverted commas

Knowing that I have posted previously about my ancestor John Jeffries Corsan I typed

"John Jeffries Corsan" site:www. british-genealogy. com ( I have left a gap after the dots so it doesn't become a clickable link) and it brings up half a dozen BG hits but none of them with just John

You can of course use this trick for any website.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

The above works I have just followed my own advice using "Florence Buckland" and it comes up with a link to this thread . No other hits though
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids