Pep-Gian

Default A Naafi facility known as THE ALEXANDER CLUB

I am told that this NAAFI club existed in ROME at the end of WW2.
    Does anyone know the name of the building/address or location of the club at that time OR know where I could research to find out.................................Thank you

strawberrymivvy

A quick Google brought up some Alexander Club stamps issued by the Vatican City, so not sure if that's relevant in any way...

I did find this, which suggests the Surrey History Society has a copy of a guide book to Rome issued by the Alexander Club, so maybe they could help with a location?

https://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...esrp&cid=49#49

Good luck!

gasser

Try this......
    I found this by using google with search terms naafi club Rome.
    On Page 2 found Historia - Astoria & Militaria
    https://digilander.libero.it/historia...now_roma83.htm , then choose Translate page option. Gives a small description of the Alexander plus a couple of photos . The link just takes you direct to Italian page but the google search will give the option to translate. Hope it helps.

The Sunday Post 4 Mar 1945 published a letter from a Lance-Bombardier on leave in Rome which included a description of the 6 stories the club comprised - but no address -

"WHEN IN ROME - The Alexander Club in Rome must be the most palatial leave club on any front. It is a former department store......
    You could spend an entire leave in this club"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

An item in the Derby Daily Telegraph Oct 46 related to recruiting members to the W.V.S
    "Miss ..... spent many months in Italy at the Alexander Club in Rome - a building seven stories high, and for the first 3 months, minus a lift. Many of the men who came to the Club had never heard of the W.V.S but it was not long before they were blessing the organisation"

Pep-Gian

Thank you very much!!!!!!

The club on the Via Venti Settembre certainly appears a taste of "La Dolce Vita"!