Loves to help with queries

Default Thomas Ponton married Jane Dyer

I have this marriage in June 1780 in Longbridge Deverill but may have the wrong Jane Dyer!!!
    Can anyone tell me who the father was of Jane Dyer at that marriage
    THanks

Wilkes_ml

Hi, the majority of marriages pre-1837 do not give father's names. It would be very rare to come across a parish register that does provide additional information, and this would usually only be if one of the parties was a minor and need parental permission.

By looking at the marriage alone, you wouldn't be able to know who her father was. You would have to go back through the baptism register to see if any Jane DYERS were baptised at Longbridge Deverill, and then check the burial registers forward in time to check that any Jane DYERS didn't die between baptism and the marriage in 1780.

There is no guarantee that Jane DYER was baptised at Longbridge Deverill either, as during the 1700s many couples married outside of the parishes where they were born/baptised.

I have an index of Longbridge Deverill baptisms. There was a Jane Dyer, daughter of Joseph, who was baptised on 1 October 1739. She is listed as Jane in the parish register and Jean in the Bishop's Transcript.

Of course there is no way of knowing if this was the same Jane who married in 1780
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thanks Sue. I have this info and she would appear more likely to be the Jane Dyer that married Thomas Ponton as he was born and died in Longbridge Deverill , they married there, and their 4 children were born there!
    The Jane that I have was born 1766 in Winterborne Stoke but I can't recall where I got this info from. I took over my tree from a cousin who may have provided this info
    The then Jane Ponton died Apr 1824 (I don't have the place of death but assume it would be LD).

Can you or anyone find Jane's age at death

Sue I have just found on FS a death of Jane Dyer in 1778, birth 1739 so it looks like my original info could be correct

Reputation beyond repute

I have this marriage in June 1780 in Longbridge Deverill but may have the wrong Jane Dyer!!!
    Was she a spinster or widow?

They don't say but all dates seem to relate to the Jane you mentioned. THe Jane Dyer I have married in 1780