Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wilkes_ml

Well done!! But how did I get my images to upload OK? I just copied the image files from photobucket without any problems. At least whatever was broken is fixed again!

thewideeyedowl

Default Success at last...

Well, here at long long last is the snippet I need help with:

The TNA reference is: WO120 Piece 53 (Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Pensioner Registers & Service Records) and I accessed it via Ancestry.

BACKGROUND (from #1): Daniel Downer. c1791-1862, served in the Royal Waggon Train in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He fractured his right scapula when he fell from his horse in about 1811 or 1812 but continued to serve. In 1819 he was discharged and admitted to the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, presumably as an out-pensioner. It looks as if his pension was 6d (a day?? or a week??), but I cannot fully decipher or understand what it says at the end of the entry, after his death is noted (snippet above).

It looks something like 61,764 over 36, and there is a further symbol/letter immediately to the left (could it be £?). Many of the entries on this page of Admissions have similar notes at the very end, obviously added after the pensioner's death. Does it signify money owed to the estate, e.g. a 36th part of 61,764 (or whatever)? Or does it signify time in some way - again, possibly a 36th part??

I'd very very grateful for help and suggestions with this.

And many many thanks to Simon and the techies for getting the photo uploading fixed and working again. Perhaps the uploading feature could/should be checked every day, to make sure it is working?

Owl

Wilkes_ml

I can't find the record on ancestry to be able to zoom in on the last bit . What is the name of the record collection, as there may be an explanation at the beginning of the collection, or The national Archives site may give some info regarding what details were included.

doh sorry I see you already listed the record collection!

thewideeyedowl

Thanks for your great patience with this, Michelle...

Ancestry have somewhat muddied the waters by indexing the chap as "Danl Downer" for this record, and they have also - for some reason that defies logic - added 'Canada' to the title of the record set. (This wrong addition of 'Canada' also got an airing in another thread, but not one of mine.) At TNA, the record set is as described above.

Owl

Wilkes_ml

looking at the other entries, they all seem to have similar numbers but with different letters in front of the top number. I've had a look to see if there is any explanation of what this nomenclature means, but have been unsuccessful. Hopefuly some one with more knowledge of military records will know.

Wilkes_ml

And yes, it was the addition of "Canada that completely threw me! But I found the entry in the end and zoomed in. I would say that the different letters used for the other entries on these pages and others, they range from E, T, what I think is a J, F etc.

thewideeyedowl

Hello, again...

I've been having another fruitless search to try to discover what the notation means. The very first time I read Daniel's entry, I took the indecipherable bit to be 'Febr' (for February, because he died in February). Then on looking more closely, and trying to read the others on the page, I more than half decided that the 'capital F' was in fact a '£' symbol. But they don't all have exactly that symbol, as you noted.

A further complication is that we are comparing the handwriting of different people (I think), because the end notes are made after a pensioner has died, i.e. written by different clerks in different years.

So - just don't know, but think it is something to do with a proportion (just over a third) of money or of time.

Many many thanks for your help, Michelle, and for sticking with it after the tribulations of yesterday.

Off to roost.

Owl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12