bobbyfamilytree

Default James Charles LYONS - birth 1851?

Been searching this chap for sometime now but yet to find any reasonable link to his parents.

James Charles LYONS 1851? - 1921 (NSW, Australia)
    His birth place London England.

He married in Melbourne, Australia in 1903. (I have this document)

He is listed in the Garonne ship in 1879 ( I have this document) and in the same year in the Marina Ship. He is discharged in 1879 and arrived in Australia possibly in 1883 on the Agra with the intention of settling. The Agra shipping record says he was single.

His death document says his folks were Joseph Victor LYONS and Christina ????? (surname not stated) But I do have another document saying her maiden name is VIBECK (or similair, its hard to read)

I cannot find any link to his named parents in London (other than the death doc). Birth records, London census etc i'm not turning up anything that connects James and Joseph/and/or Christina. Anyone able to help with this one?

Bobby.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are a number of births for JAMES LYONS in the London area between 1849-1853. I can’t see any birth record for James CHARLES Lyons, but that does not signify anything, since at that time many people simply used one name, although they may acquire a second later in life, perhaps through baptism.

I then had a look to see if I could find a marriage record for a Joseph Lyons and Christina, or one Lyons and Vibeck, but was unsuccessful.

I also looked in the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Joseph and James, but without success.

There is a private family tree on Ancestry which has James Charles in it. The tree is the “Green Family Tree”. There is also a public tree called “Lyons Family Tree”.

Sorry not to find anything to help.

Growing old Disgracefully

Megan you beat me to it. I found all the same as you.

3 births in 1851 London

James Lyons
    Year: 1851
    Westminster St Margaret, London
    Volume: 1. Page: 530

James Lyons, 1851
    Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Bermondsey, London
    Volume: 4
    Page: 44

James Lyons
    Registration Year: 1851, Oct-Nov-Dec
    St George in the East, London
    Volume: 2 Page: 94

the only way to find out is to order cert but ask for a check to be made and state you only want the one that has father's name of Joseph Victor Lyons.

Is this your man on the 1881 census as a cab man born in st giles Midlesex if it is I would try The last birth ref.

sandie

bobbyfamilytree

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There are a number of births for JAMES LYONS in the London area between 1849-1853. I can’t see any birth record for James CHARLES Lyons, but that does not signify anything, since at that time many people simply used one name, although they may acquire a second later in life, perhaps through baptism.

I then had a look to see if I could find a marriage record for a Joseph Lyons and Christina, or one Lyons and Vibeck, but was unsuccessful.

I also looked in the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Joseph and James, but without success.

There is a private family tree on Ancestry which has James Charles in it. The tree is the “Green Family Tree”. There is also a public tree called “Lyons Family Tree”.

Sorry not to find anything to help.
    Your search results are pretty much the same as mine, nothing really to go on. The private tree on ancestry you refer to I know of, we are both searching this person and both struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    the only way to find out is to order cert but ask for a check to be made and state you only want the one that has father's name of Joseph Victor Lyons.

Is this your man on the 1881 census as a cab man born in st giles Midlesex if it is I would try The last birth ref.

sandie
    I didnt realize you could ask to check on birth parents before ordering... thanks for (both) suggestions, most helpfull.

Growing old Disgracefully

You have to pay up front but if its not the right one they refund you the money. And its best to go to the records office for the district the birth is in and not to the General Registers Office.

Sandie

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    And its best to go to the records office for the district the birth is in and not to the General Registers Office.

Sandie

As you are in Australia, then go to the GRO - all the ordering and paying can be done on line - and you can specify father's name etc.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

bobbyfamilytree

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    As you are in Australia, then go to the GRO - all the ordering and paying can be done on line - and you can specify father's name etc.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Noted. Thankyou.