strawberrymivvy

Default Request for Info Check Please - Wilcock Line

Some of you may remember me from when I was active a couple of years back (young family got in the way, lol), and I'm keen to get back to my research, but want to make sure the info I have is accurate and "clean" before moving on.

Christanel has suggested I post in here and ask for help with picking up any errors or queries that need more research, so I'm going to aim to do that, one grandparent at a time, starting with my paternal grandfather's line... Thanks in advance all!

Thomas Frederick Wilcock, b 21.9.16 in Billinge, Lancs to

John Wilcock, b 21.1.1882 (?) in Winstanley, Lancs (d 14.1.35 in Carr Mill, Lancs (suicide) and
    Laura Mary Littler, b 21.2.1883 in Billinge, Lancs (d 1960, Prescot, Lancs)

John's parents were Thomas Wilcock b 20.3.1845 in Upholland, Lancs, d 22.11.25 and
    Mary Rigby b Jun 1848 in Upholland, Lancs, d Mar 1894 in Lancs

Laura's parents were Thomas Littler, b 1846 in Billinge, Lancs, d 6.5.1891 in Billinge Chapel End, Lancs and
    Hannah Atherton, b 29.6.1846 in Billinge Chapel End, Lancs, d unknown

I have more generations of info, but would like to start with this lot first as I think I may have got myself in a knot - too many Wilcocks and Littlers in that area at that time!

Also, the Hannah Atherton seems confusing too - her father was an Atherton, her mother a Littler. She married a Littler, but I also think she married Thomas Wilcock (b 1845 above) and so ended up as stepmother to John Wilcock (b 1882). I think she also had a son out of wedlock, Henry Atherton b 1868

Anyway, as I said, I've got myself in a knot so if I can confirm (or otherwise) these ancestors then I can move on to another batch. Am contemplating deleting my tree on Ancestry and starting again to make sure the info is true!

Thank you so much in advance for helping me sort this out! Taking a long break doesn't help either as I don't know where I was at or what I was thinking, lol!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Taking a long break doesn't help either as I don't know where I was at or what I was thinking, lol!
    Been there, done that, and like you, usually have to start going through all my previous stuff to find what I was supposed to be doing next.

Sort of silly question, but just to doubly make sure of things -
    Thomas Frederick Wilcock, b 21.9.16 in Billinge, Lancs to

John Wilcock, b 21.1.1882 (?) in Winstanley, Lancs (d 14.1.35 in Carr Mill, Lancs (suicide) and
    Laura Mary Littler, b 21.2.1883 in Billinge, Lancs (d 1960, Prescot, Lancs)
    can we presume that you have Thomas' birth certificate and John and Laura's marriage certificate?

Pam

Wilkes_ml

Although I haven't got time to go through it all just now, I thought I'd say what a great idea to start from the begining and check through it all. I sometimes go back to branches I haven't touched for years and often pick up information I may have missed the first time round, or information that has become newly available online.

strawberrymivvy

So Pam, this is now going to make me look foolish, but just checked through my pile of certs, was convinced I had both, but I appear not to have either! Doh!

Can probably get hold of Thomas Frederick's fairly easily, as I assume my Dad has it, if not anything prior to that, will ask him now...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrymivvy View Post
    So Pam, this is now going to make me look foolish, but just checked through my pile of certs, was convinced I had both, but I appear not to have either! Doh!

Can probably get hold of Thomas Frederick's fairly easily, as I assume my Dad has it, if not anything prior to that, will ask him now...
    You probably have got them. But misfiled.
    I was going to say that you must have Thomas' birth certificate in order to know his mother's maiden name, but of course in 1916 the maiden name was shown in the GRO Index. And then you've probably just assumed . . . . . Forgiveable if money is tight (been there, done that one as well!) but not advisable when it's a direct line.

Pam

strawberrymivvy

Well, Thomas Frederick is my paternal grandfather and only died relatively recently, so I'm fairly confident in my info on his parents' names at least, if not exact dates. Misfiled is probably right - I put things away out of kids' reach but it's never in the right place! Youngest starts preschool next month, so guess what I'm going to be doing with my 2 mornings a week!