strawberrymivvy

Default Back again after long absence...

Used to be active on here some years back (maybe up to around 2 years ago when youngest was born), and would like to get back into my research, but still not sure how much time I'm going to have.

I am contemplating paying someone to "doublecheck" my existing research, at least the main lines, for me, so that I a) know that it's accurate and b) have some motivation to get back into it

Does anybody have any recommendations for researchers they've used, and an indication of how much it's likely to cost me? Do I pay by the hour, and if so, how much can I reasonably expect an expert to achieve in an hour?

As far as I can tell my ancestry is all England-based, primarily around St Helens and Co Durham

Any direction as to where to go from here gratefully received, I have a birthday coming up and could even ask for a few hours research as a present from my husband!

Thanks all...

Welcome back to the fold

Can I suggest that before you go paying money to a researcher you ask for help from our friendly and knowledgeable people on BG? They love nothing better than a challenge and if there is anything that looks a bit iffy in your research they will be brave enough to say so. We don't charge, and there are more of us. Win/win!

So maybe decide which line you want to attack first, start with the ancestors you know are correct eg grandparents, ggrandparents, then choose a suitable forum on which to post all that you know about them and let our friendly fiends see what they can find/corroborate for you.
    Just a suggestion, then you can ask for something frivolous for your birthday

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

strawberrymivvy

Christina

That sounds great (I love free - and frivolous gifts, lol), but I don't like to take advantage, especially when I've not been "earning my stripes" on the site for some time now...

However, I'll take your advice and will post something later on today (if I get 5 minutes, where does my time go, sigh...) and see where that leads me!

Thanks again

Welcome back strawberrymivvy. I remember you from before. My only beef with you is that when I read your post I was suffering a bit with our current hot and humid weather, and being reminded of strawberry mivvies was not kind
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

strawberrymivvy

Hi Sue, nice to be remembered - I do like to torture people, lol!

The members on here won't see this as taking advantage. They will applaud you for your desire for accuracy. There are several who would have told you right from the start that you must check and recheck and then check again, so you are only asking them to assist you in something they would do.
    The other thing to remember is that we are all really nosey and like nothing better than an invitation to rootle about in other people's ancestors.
    I bet everyone who has read this thread will be watching for your next thread, ready to start researching and checking - I will too but I am useless at it and have to ask for help every time.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time