Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Hi Philip,
    The official registration of the birth of John George Matthews (son of Sarah Cordoza and Thomas Matthew) is under the application number of Cas970243/88 in the registration district of Whitechapel in the Sub-district of Spitalfield in the County of Middlesex. The registry date is 21 Feb 1861. The birth date on the registration form appears to be 17 Feb 1861. Interestingly, he is registered as George John, not John George. The occupation (as listed on the birth certificate) of his father, Thomas Matthews, is Frame Maker,Carver and Gilder. I received this info from a relative of mine.
    The Matthews family in Newfoundland used to correspond with relatives in London prior to WW II. The mailing address was 61 DEVONSHIRE ST., MILE END, E.C., LONDON, ENGLAND.

In Fred Matthews' written account, George John Matthews left London at age 18. Frederick claims to have verified this when he visited the neighbourhood of his father (George John Matthew) in East London, England and later wrote a report dated July 19, 1954. Uncle Fred reported that during 1940, after the German bombing of his father's old neighbourhood near the River Thames during WW II, there were no surviving Matthews' relatives. Can't verify this.This was actually Uncle Fred's second visit to the area; he had been there in 1916 during WW I after enlisting in the armed forces from Newfoundland. Uncle Fred also served in World War II.
    I am thankful for your info, as I am not a member of Ancestry.com. I do my research on the Latter Day Saints Family Search. They have limited info. I tried to register on Jewish Gen UK ; I filled in all relevant info, but they said I didn't include house address. However, I tried again and again entering the correct street address, without success. Must be a software glitch.
    Regards, Maggie

There are photographs of Timothy Augustus Matthews 1873-1947 and his wife Alice Mary Good plus children on one of the family trees on Ancestry.Com.
    The 1841 Census -8 Bowling St Cavendish Square St.Marylebone has William Matthews with wife and children ho107 6767 33 27 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    William Matthews 45 glass maker b S; Margaret Matthews 45 b S; Ellen ; John 8; THOMAS 5; Mary 3.
    The S initial indicts born in UK probably Scotland- nothing for place of birth for children

1891 Census ( Ancestry Com have incorrectly transcribed names)- 61 Devonshire St Mile End RG12 306 40 18 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Thomas Matthews H M 56 Cabinet Maker b Marylebone; Sarah wife 54 b City; Flora dau s 20 Cigar Maker b Spitalfields; Timothy son s 18 Porter b Spitalfields; Albert son s 16 Cellar man b Spitalfields; Samuel Barnard s visitor 24; Edward Cole visitor widower 59 cigar maker

Death- Thomas Hogg Matthews b abt 1837 age 65 died 1902 Mile End Old Town 1c 257 ( Free BMD have a more specific record including death quarter index record)

Look at Free BMD for Birth, Marriage and Death General Record Index which will give you data on the various individuals- suggest you may want to buy records to help fill in gaps on your current data particularly the CARDOZA lines ( use the phonetic option for the Matthews aka Matthew and Cardoza aka Cardoso- this will give you a better chance of locating the data).

The Bevis Marks Records of births, marriages and deaths on Jewish Gen will also help you fill in gaps and you may want to consider subscribing to one of the pay sites which has data on your lines and will enable you to make contact with other relatives- there appear to be living relatives of your lines in the UK.
    Phillip

This is probably William Matthews aka Matthew father of Thomas Hog aka Hogg Matthews- 1851 Census 6 Sadley? Hall Court? Aldgate
    HO107 1524 218 1 (Crown Copyright,TNA)- William Matthew 55 traveller b Dalkeith;Margaret wife 55 b Edinburgh; Janet? dau u 19 Needle woman b London; Thomas son u 15 oil colourman

Nb You would need to check this data with further records. The 1841 William Matthews and this 1851 William Matthew do not appear to have any Jewish origins.
    Phillip

Follow on #11 of this thread - the 61 Devonshire Street Mile End address is that of Timothy Augustus Matthews-
    Marriage Certificate St James Bethnal Green
    21 July 1900
    TIMOTHY AUGUSTUS MATTHEWS 27 bachelor Engineer 21 DEVONSHIRE STREET -father- THOMAS HOGG MATTHEWS Cabinet Maker
    ALICE MAY GOOD 22 spinster 21 St James Road- father- WILLIAM CURTIS GOOD -Compositor
    Witnesses-violet GOOD; Henry Charles GOOD

However, by 1912 Timothy was a widower and re- married:
    The Parish Church St.Peter Stepney
    April 14,1912
    Timothy Augustus Matthews 39 widower Engineer 65 Devonshire St-father Thomas Hogg Matthews deceased
    Jessie Emily FRANCIS 37 spinster same address as groom- father- John Bernard Francis -
    no details of occupation just a line
    Witnesses
    Edward Francis Brown; Violet Brown

1911 Census
    65 Devonshire Street Mile End E (Crown Copyright,TNA) - I will supply full reference
    Alice Mary GOOD 56 Married 38 years 5 children born 2 living no occupation b Mile End
    TIMOTHY AUGUSTUS MATTHEWS relative 38 lift attendant -tobacco manufacturer -worker
    Leslie MATTHEWS relative 8 at school b South Hackney
    John D'Costa boarder single 44 Private means b Spitalfields

Phillip

My error- the address in #14 for Timothy Augustus Matthews on his marriage certificate in 1900 should read 61 Devonshire St not 21 as I have recorded.
    Phillip

Probate- Timothy Augustus Matthews 108 Cobham Road Ilford Essex died 9 May 1951 at The Whipps Cross Hospital Leytonstone Essex- Probate to Leslie Augustus William Matthews insurance agent- Effects £1987 5s 8d

Phillip

Maggie
    There are living Matthews relatives related to Timothy and his first wife Alice Good- I have seen the family tree on Ancestry.Com which includes photographs of Timothy and the Good relatives. The tree also includes Sarah and Thomas plus William Matthews and Margaret his wife.
    Leslie Augustus William Matthews died in Dec qtr 1980 Cambridge.

You might want to post a new thread which is not on the Jewish Forum. This thread could focus on the Matthews including the Scottish lines. You could also include on the Jewish Forum a new thread which focuses on the Cardozo/ Nunes Martines lines. This would give you a good opportunity to make contact with distant relatives.
    Phillip

Maggie
    I have seen a postcard written by your great grandfather George to his broth Timothy- Address Mr Timothy Matthews 65 DEVONSHIRE STREET MILE END LONDON EAST - from South West Arm Newfoudland Sept 23 of 10 ( no year date)- the card begins "Dear Tim... and ends .."your brother George Matthews".
    George asks that Tim writes to him about the family and how everyone. However, Timothy had not only lost his first wife but also a young son Henry- have also seen the Memorial for both their deaths- all on Ancestry. Com family trees

Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip,
    https://www.thetelegram.com/World/200...-to-province/1

Thought that this link would be of interest to you. Irving Resnik was a great friend of our family. He had a Clothing Store in Stephenville, Newfoundland. He practically "dressed us" from the time my siblings and I were toddlers. He attended our weddings. I have great memories of all of the Jewish people in Stephenville. Thanks for all the info.
    Regards, Maggie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12