Thread: Evader

rogert

Default Evader

In the record the Fate is recorded as "Evader". What is the official meaning of this? An incident of "Crashed" is also in the record.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello rogert,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As we don't have a clue what record you're referring to, it's difficult (impossible?) to comment.
    Though it sounds to me as if you're talking about an airman who was in a plane which crashed, prior to which he evaded an enemy aircraft.

If you would like to furnish us with the complete text I expect someone will be able to give a more accurate answer.

Pam

SueNSW

An "evader" could also refer to someone who evaded capture by the enemy. In an air force setting he possibly parachuted into occupied territory and managed to evade capture probably with the help of local resistance networks - possibly even making it back to Britain via Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar - or maybe the unoccupied Vichy controlled area of France if it occurred earlier in the war

TomBen

Hi Roger,

SueNSW is spot on.

"Evader" in Forces War Records entries relates to Aircrew who have bailed out of an aircraft, or survived a crash-landing and subsequently avoided capture.

If an airman is captured FWR provides the Prisoner of War details such as the POW number and camp.

Kind Regards,

Tom
    Forces War Records

rogert

Thank you very much for your responses and answers. The record relates to Leslie Board, flight engineer, who crashed in Belgium in May 1944 in a Halifax HX 344 from 158 squadron. I am trying to find out if this individual was my father, who did survive, and hence my interest in what "evader" meant in the Fate entry of the record from this sites data bases.
    Again thank you for replying.

I've found an entry for Halifax HX334 (rather than 344) out of 158 Sqdn which came down on 12/13 May 1944.

Pilot: 658281 FSgt John Hayden Evans, escaped/evaded
    Flight Engineer: 1604551 Sgt Les. E. Board, escaped/evaded
    Navigator: 136357 PO JB Daniels, escaped/evaded
    Bomb Aimer: J/24485 FO William A. Robertson RCAF, escaped/evaded
    WOp AG: 158587 Sgt Douglas A Llyod, escaped/evaded
    Mid Upper Gunner: 426826 FSgt Vivian Graham Colledge RAAF POW
    Rear Gunner: 426928 Sgt Francis Joseph Tait RAAF POW.

They left Lissett en route for Hasselt. Actually shot down at 00:45 on 13 May 1944. They crashed on the Borijk Monastry between Genk (Limburg) and Hasselt railway yards. All survived - an unusually lucky crew!

There's a photo of the crew AND a photo of the guy who shot them down HERE. Scroll down.