medelconte

Default Father's Military records--History

My father William Bridgeman McMillam (Chips) was Canadian born living in Scotland in 1939. Joined RAF in September 1939, was a tail gunner -I think.
    I have no unit names or numbers. Maybe stationed in Hull? Cannot find any records,,,any ideas? Thank you Michele

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Michele,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

No-one can find (on-line) records for WW2 service personnel for the simple reason they are currently held by the MoD.
    See here for more information, including the link to the forms you need to send when applying for the records.

Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William Bridgeman McMillam

Most probably flew in Avro Lancaster of a Halifax

medelconte

Hello Pam, thank you for the info--I will contact them and see what they can do..

medelconte

Wow! He was a tail Gunner--is that where the Bomber squads were? I have so little information to go on. I downloaded all the forms from the MoD. They want unit numbers, airfield, all sorts of stuff I dont't have... Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by medelconte View Post
    Wow! He was a tail Gunner--is that where the Bomber squads were? I have so little information to go on. I downloaded all the forms from the MoD. They want unit numbers, airfield, all sorts of stuff I dont't have... Thank you for your help.
    I don't think those details are compulsory, but if you have a common name such as John Smith then those extra details help narrow down the search.

Pam

adrian56

Hi ppl I'm actually in the process of getting my fathers service record from the RAF although I have a bit of extra help in that I have both his log book and Service Certificate which not only give information as to his service number but the squadrons he was with .
    I was back home a couple of weeks ago while my mother was very ill ( unfortunately she passed away two weeks ago) and I knew that that my late father had the books somewhere once I located them I trotted up to the RAF Museum at Hendon who were extremely helpful and put me in touch with the relevant department . The charge is thirty pound and a bit of a wait ( 10 Weeks) and wonder if I went through FWR it would be quicker .
    Did you also get the service related form ( RAF)?
    Believe or not Michele my late father was also a Canuck and a nose gunner and was in South Eastern Area Command operating out of India .
    Regards
    Adrian : )

You can only get post 1921 records through official channels. It's slow at the moment because all of the attention on TV and in the media has prompted people to find out.... Look at it as a shop queue - the sooner you join, the sooner your turn will come!
    It's well worth it when the records arrive.