patquickly

Default Shot at Dawn - Service Numbers

Is there anywhere I can find out the service numbers of those 'Shot at Dawn'? I seem to remember seeing a TV programme some time ago with someone with the number 8833 and would like to find out who that was.
    Thanks in advance
    Pat

thewideeyedowl

Default List on website

Hi patquickly, and a very warm welcome to BritGen...

Well, a quick search for (8833 AND "shot at dawn") yielded this website at the top of the list: https://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/?q=...t=name&cat=sad. It does not seem to have the facility to search by number, so you will have to scroll down until you find that number - I just whizzed through a few near the top and was struck by how very young so many were and, mainly, shot for desertion.

I hope you can find this man. Please let us know who he is and we will try to do some research on him.

Best wishes

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default Private G Everill

Me again...have just found a picture of the gravestone, via bing images but reproduced from the website I linked to above.

The wording is: 8833 Private G Everill, N Staffordshire Regiment, 14 September 1917.

Hope this helps

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

Some reading suggestions -

Oram, G and Putkowski, J, Death sentences passed by the military courts of the British Army, 1914-1924 (Frances Boutle, 1998)

This gives lists of sentences by date and surname. Each entry gives a reference number. Add WO to the front of this number, and you have the full National Archives reference to the Court Martial records. Most records of courts martial are in WO 213, WO 92 or WO 90.

Also -

Putkowski, J and Sykes, J, Shot at dawn (Pen & Sword, 1998)

gasser

Poperinghe New Military Cemetery - Webmatters
    webmatters.net/txtpat/?id=509

Google the above .....enter site and scroll down until you find his name ......more info about him there.

patquickly

Many thanks for your replies. I had looked at WebMatters from your first post and found Pte Everill and traced him in Poperinghe New Cemetry. There was gravephoto and details about his service career and all within the WebMatters site. So thank you once again for pointing me in the right direction.
    Pat