young salty

Default Deciphering birth place of Caroline Flack

I am seeking assistance in deciphering the birth place of Caroline Flack in the 1861 Census (Middlesex>Islington St Mary>Islington East>District 7). Caroline aged 11 was the daughter of William (35 years) and Caroline Flack (31 years). The majority of the family were born in Holloway, Caroline the mother in Bedfordshire but young Caroline appears to be born in 'Beury XXX XXXX'. I am not even sure if the Beury is right as it doesn't come up on place indexes. I would appreciate any help forum members can provide

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

It looks like Beary New Stone to me, but I can't find it anywhere. Is she the same Caroline Flack who in 1871 is a nurse at 2 Lloyd Street Clerkenwell. If she is then she gives her birth place as Haggerstone.

Emeltee

FMP has transcribed name as Hack, not Flack (Census ref RG09 139 100 44). PoB transcribed as "Beany New Stone"!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

1851 census (HO107/1501, folio 382, page 13) of St Mary, Islington, shows William FLOCK & daughter Caroline living at St John's Place in the household of Caroline's grandfather Henry MORTON & family, although William & Caroline's marriage record according to Ancestry's London Parish Registers, shows Caroline MARTIN as the daughter of Henry MARTIN, Plumber & Glazier. Caroline jnr's birthplace is shown as Southwark, Surrey.

The GRO Index shows a birth registration in the June qtr 1850 at St Saviour Southwark reg district which could be relevant to you. Ancestry London Parish Registers have the baptisms of William & Caroline's other children all at St John Islington where the family were described as of Holloway as you have already stated, but not the baptism of Caroline - wouldn't you just know it. However, I cannot find any reference to a Beary ........ in Southwark, so not much help as regards your original query, but a copy of the birth certificate should show where William & Caroline were living at the time.

Janet

young salty

Janet
    Many thanks to you and the other 2 responders. Your information, in particular, on the 1851 census with the (soon to be annotated) multiple transcription errors has given me the breakthrough I needed. The census gave Henry Martin's birthplace as Bures which on checking is on the Stour River. This means that Beury New Stone may well be Bures on Stour or a variation of that. It makes some sense that Caroline gave birth there among family members before moving back to London. I appreciate everyone's efforts and wish you good luck in your genealogical adventures.
    Suse