Thread: German POW

KerryJane

Default German POW

My granddad was a German POW during WWII and held at Friningham Manor, Detling, Maidstone, Kent. Anyone know where I can find out information on German POWs, Friningham Manor, etc. Is there somewhere on this website that I've missed? Thank you all

Reputation beyond repute

Don't know what you're hoping to find but the National Archives Research Guide is here.

A search engine will throw up plenty about Friningham Manor although I don't see any reference to it being used to house POWs but then I haven't dig very deep.

KerryJane

Hi thank you for your reply. Several years ago I searched for Friningham Manor under POW camps and it came up on the internet. Unfortunately I did not save the information or print it and now I can't find anything at all about it, it's as though it didn't exist. Some years ago when my granddad was alive another German POW who was also staying at Friningham Manor got in touch via a local newspaper. It's just strange we can't find anything on it anymore.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Friningham Manor

Quote Originally Posted by KerryJane View Post
    Hi thank you for your reply. Several years ago I searched for Friningham Manor under POW camps and it came up on the internet. Unfortunately I did not save the information or print it and now I can't find anything at all about it, it's as though it didn't exist. Some years ago when my granddad was alive another German POW who was also staying at Friningham Manor got in touch via a local newspaper. It's just strange we can't find anything on it anymore.
    Kerry- I don't know if you will see this. But we own Friningham Manor!! We have been doing some research over the last few weeks on the history of this building.
    I do not know if you will see my reply, as your comments were from 2014. I would love to hear about your history with your grandad, and share what you know. Equally you can come and see the house. It's based in Detling.
    If you see this message I will send you my number.
    Thank you
    Hannah

Starting to feel at home

Perhaps Admin at brit-gen have an e-mail address ?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_NB View Post
    Perhaps Admin at brit-gen have an e-mail address ?
    The system stores only the information a member provides it with so if KerryJane's email address has changed since her last activity on the forum then there is no way anyone (including Admin) can contact her.
    If her email is still the same then hopefully she ticked the 'send notice of new posts in threads I started' box and will learn of Hannah's post.

Hannah - firstly welcome to British-Genealogy. It sounds as if you live in an interesting house.

If you haven't had a reply from KerryJane in say, a week, then it's possible she hasn't got email notification set up so you could try sending a private message. To do that, click on her name beside her opening post and then click 'send private message'. If it comes back 'undeliverable' then you will know that her email has changed from the one held by the BG system.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

The FWR website only covers British & Commonwealth POWs by the way.
    It makes this clear in the collections list -it covers all 3 axis powers camps but not ones for axis prisoners.