Richard Chetland

Smile Chetland family Warwickshire

any info on the Chetlands in Warwickshire around the 1700 1760 looking for a William Chetland date of birth and parents,was married to a Elizabeth Astley in 3rd Feb 1780 at Aston

geoffpowers

Default Chetland family of Warwickshire

Hello, Richard!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Chetland
    any info on the Chetlands in Warwickshire around the 1700 1760 looking for a William Chetland date of birth and parents,was married to a Elizabeth Astley in 3rd Feb 1780 at Aston
    I have found a record of this marriage on LDS Family Search, with William's surname given as CHESLAND. This could well be a case of transcription error: I assume you have confirmation of the marriage from an independent source. Is it possible that your Chetland family may have been recorded in a variant surname spelling in earlier times??

For CHETLAND, I have found the following alternatives in LDS Family Search:
    CHITLAND and CHATLAND, also CHECKLAND, if this is indeed a variant, and not a different surname.

For CHESLAND, Family Search gives CHESLIN, CHESLYNE ans CHESLING as possible variants.

This group of surname spellings appears to be peculiar to Warwickshire and specifically to the areas immediately around Coleshill and to the west, south-west and south of Coventry.

I have been able to find only the CHECKLAND variant for births/baptisms that would give a marriage around 1780:

1. Wm. Checkland, bapt. 30 Dec. 1759, Stretton on Dunsmore, WAR
    father: John; mother: Mary

2. Wm. Checkland, bapt. 19 Feb. 1755, Clifton upon Dunsmore, WAR
    father: John; mother: Ann

3. Wm. Checkland, bapt. 3 Aug. 1761, Monks Kirby, WAR
    father: Joseph; mother: Ann; child's age at baptism: 8 yrs.

By inserting the batch number for each of these entries and putting 'Checkland' in the surname box you will be able to call up all persons who have this variant spelling of the surname, and hence establish (hopefully!) family relationships: ditto for CHETLAND, CHATLAND and CHITLAND, etc.

How names were recorded in this period often depended on local accents, clarity of enunciation and the competence of the person (curate/parish clerk) recording it. I have met problems of this kind on several occasions in the course of my own research.

I hope the above information will give you a lead.

If you have not yet used LDS Family Search there are many people in the forum who can offer advice.

Regards

Geoff
    Last edited by geoffpowers; 16-10-2005 at 9:56 PM.

Richard Chetland

Default Ref Chetland Family Search

Many thanks for advice the marriage was found on LSD Family Search but could'nt find any more information on his father or mother have Williams family up to present day 2005.will start to check back on the variants as you said Any thing esle you come across in your searches would be most helpful
    Reguards Richard

aeracura

Hi Richard...

I realise you posted this query a number of years ago now, 5 years this week to be exact, but I am trying to establish a branch of my own tree with a possible Chetland of Coleshill.

I have established that Dorothy Shipley born in 1794 in Elmhurst, Lichfield, Staffordshire is my 3rd Great Grandmother, and her father was John Shipley and her mother was Ann. Now the only marriage I can find of a John Shipley to an Ann in that area in that time frame was to an Ann Chetland. John Shipley was married to Ann Chetland on 12th of June 1776 at Nether Whiteacre, Coleshill. My query is if you have a fairly complete tree, if you can see whether they had a daughter named Dorothy. She's my current brick wall

Thanks...

~ Jo

Richard Chetland

Hi Jo
    Parents John Shiplet & Ann Chetland
    Married 12 Jun 1776 Nether Whitacre, Warwick
    Children
    Mathew 1790 Baptism 7 Feb 1790 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Thomas 1792 Baptism 20 May 1792 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Dorothy 1794 Baptism 28 Sep 1794 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Dorothy Married A Henry Smith on 14 March 1819 in Walsall

I hope this helps and links into your tree
    Regards
    Richard

aeracura

Thank you SO MUCH Richard

Do you have a family tree anywhere where I can see the ancestry of Ann Chetland now that I've established she is in fact my ancestor

~ jo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Chetland View Post
    Hi Jo
    Parents John Shiplet & Ann Chetland
    Married 12 Jun 1776 Nether Whitacre, Warwick
    Children
    Mathew 1790 Baptism 7 Feb 1790 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Thomas 1792 Baptism 20 May 1792 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Dorothy 1794 Baptism 28 Sep 1794 Kings Bromley, Stafford, England
    Dorothy Married A Henry Smith on 14 March 1819 in Walsall

I hope this helps and links into your tree
    Regards
    Richard

PeterSmith427

Hi Richard,
    Are you by any chance also active on Genes Reunited? There is a Richard Chetland there whose tree has many matches with mine.
    I have in my tree a Susanna Chetland who was baptised 22 Jan 1815 at St. Mary Warwick, daughter of Thomas Chetland.
    I am interested in her family but even more in that of her husband George White born at Loxley in 1816. George's mother, Martha Austin, was a sister of my great great grandmother Patience Austin, about whom I know almost nothing, other than she was born c.1785 somewhere in England and married my Scottish great great grandfather at London in 1808. George's father, Samuel White and Martha Austin were married at Loxley in 1814, but where she was born is also a mystery.
    George White came to Canada after the (assumed) death of his wife Susanna sometime before 1871, as the names of George and two sons appear in the 1872 will of my great grandfather George Smith, his first cousin.

donchet2002

Hello Richard
    I just happened to pop my surname into Google and came up with your blog.
    I have my family tree back to a Thomas Chetland who was married to an Elizabeth (born around 1821)
    They had three children Sarah Ann (B 1856), William Henry (Born in Warwickshire 1859) and Frederick M (B 1863).
    You seem to be delving a generation or two previous to these dates, but would be really interested if there is a link here.
    Look forward to hearing further from you.
    Don R Chetland

pjchat

Default Chetland / Chatland families

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Chetland View Post
    Hi,
    From the research that I have been doing (and helped by Stan Chetlend's research), it seems as though William Chetland and Elizabeth Astley were my 4th great grandparents. Their son, William married Sarah Auton in St Pancras, London in 1818 and then for some as yet unknown reason changed their name to Chatland. The family was then based in that area for the following 154 years until the death of my grandmother in 1974, as shown by various records.
    I am however still finding it very difficult to discover clear records for the period before 1851 although Stan Chetland has stated the following for William: Birth 16 MAY 1788 in Saint Phillips,Birmingham,Warwickshire,England
    Death 13 April 1853 in London, Middlesex, United Kingdom

I hope that this is of some help and would be very interested in finding more information about this particular period from 1780 to 1850.
    Peter Chatland