Bchar1988

Default looking for RAF records for Cyril Baker

Hi there everyone,
    Im hoping someone can help me, Im hoping to find some kind of record for Cyril Baker. My grandfather.

I do have some info on his life but nothing on RAF side of it.
    name - Cyril Baker
    born - 23rd December 1921 (registered january 1922)
    born - llandudno conwy wales.
    mother - mary catherine baker (formerly thomas / jones)
    father - william baker

cyril was born 1921 to mary and william in wales, although when cyril was born / registered william was deceased.
    sometime between 1921 and 1944 cyril joined the RAF, he also moved to norwich, norfolk to marry a lady called ruby watts in 1944 in norwich, they had a child together in 1945 called yvonne.
    from what yvonne has told me cyril left the RAF to mary ruby and to bring yvonne up.
    I have no evidence of this, i also have no idea what he did in the RAF or where he was stationed etc, I only have above information to go on. I know he survived it as in 1965 he remarried my grandmother doris and had another daughter called carol in 1966.

if anyone can shed any light on the RAF records / medals he may of received
    i will be eternally grateful

thanks
    charlotte

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The marriage certificate may give some clues

Ruby WATTS = Cyril BAKER q3 1944 Norwich 4b 460

from gro.gov.uk cost £9.25

Alternatively have you seen Yvonne's birth certificate?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

RAF service records for early 1920s onwards are still held by the RAF.
    In the case of service personnel who died less than twenty-five years ago, the next of kin may apply for the records. See this sticky for the link.
    If someone died more than twenty-five years ago then anyone can apply for the full records.

The world and his wife are currently applying for records so be prepared for a long wait (as in 'several months').

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 16-07-2014 at 3:26 AM. Reason: Added more precise information relating to twenty-five year ruling

Bchar1988

my grandfather died in 2000, i have no idea who would be his next of kin as he married ruby in 1944 and left the raf while still married to ruby, then in 1965 married my nan doris, im not sure if ruby is still alive and i know my nan doris wont give me permission to these records as we dont get on at all...

Apply, and see what happens. Your parent would be considered to be closer kin, though.