Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin Bunch

Starting to feel at home

Default Benjamin Bunch

I,recently,discovered that my great x2 grandad,Benjamin Bunch,was born in Hampshire,but I can't find his birth or christening anywhere.On the 1851 census it says that he is 44 approx.He died in 1857 and is buried in The Old Cemetery Southampton where it states his age at death as 50.I would seem he was born in 1807 but I can't find him.His father was Thomas.Can anyone help please

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked on familysearvch.org, there is a baptism for

Benjamin BUNCH s/o Thomas & Mary BUNCH

13 Feb 1800

Christening Place: BINSTED NEAR ALTON,HAMPSHIRE,

Ties in with the death

janbooth

Also ties in with the 1851 census record (HO107/1676, folio 162, page 16), Jean, where it states his birthplace as Binsted. Could these be relatives of Benjamin's in the 1841 census of Binsted (HO107/381/10, folio 17, page 10):

Binsted Street near Church

John BUNCH 55 Carpenter
    Thomas do 55 do
    Thomas do 75 Blacksmith
    Mary do 25
    Ann do 20

All born in the county.

Ancestry Select Marriages have the marriage at Binsted on 2 August 1789 of a Thomas BUNCH & a Mary LAMBOLE which could be relevant to you.

Janet

janbooth

Another record which may be relevant to you (from Ancestry's Select Baptisms) is a baptism at Binsted on 28 October 1760 of a Thomas BUNCH son of John & Deborah BUNCH

Janet

Page turning of the 1841 census (HO107/381/10, folio 17, page 10)has the following

Opposite #3 is the following family

Parsonage

BUNCH Samuel Carpenter 30
    BUNCH Sarah 30
    BUNCH Fred'k 5
    BUNCH Eliza 3
    BUNCH Andrew 1

Binsted Street

BUNCH George 37 Carpenter

I cannot see Benjamin BUNCH 1841

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for all the help.I found Benjamin on the 1851 census with his wife Sarah,sons Benjamin 4 and Thomas 1.It has Benjamin as 44.He and Sarah were married in 1845 but it doesn't give their ages only full age,it has Benjamin's father as Thomas and Sarah Mead's as George.The name was mis spelt as Burch so I've looked a different possible spellings for Bunch.On Benjamin Jr's marriage it has Bimch. On the burial record at the Old Cemetery Southampton,it says that he was 50 when he died,there's no headstone.My Ancestry subscription needs renewing,I'll do that tomorrow then I can look at the entries that have been suggested.

Loves to help with queries

I was attracted to your post because as soon as I saw BUNCH I thought Binsted. The reason I have noticed BUNCH of Hampshire was because my 3X great grandfather was apprenticed in 1804 to William Bunch of Binsted, blacksmith. There were some of the name at Cove in Yately who were mostly blacksmiths.
    The only Cof E baptisms 1752-1812 of a Benjamin Bunch is the one given you in 1800. However Jan's 1851 Census record is not the same as the one you have. I presume the burial record you seek in your other post is the daughter in law of Benjamin? If so I think we need to know her husband's details so that we can start from there as the 1851 Census at Warnford seems a much more likely candidate as the one bap 1800 Binsted. There is not a Benjamin BURCH baptized in Hampshire for the period.
    Gerald

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your post,I will explain about my Bunch family.My mum was a Bunch,born in Farnborough,her father was Herbert Henry Bunch,born in Southampton as was his brother Harold Albert Bunch.Their father was Benjamin Bunch born in London 1847-1887,he married Catherine Sarah Masters in London in 1879,she lived till 1947,She died in Ashford, Kent where she was living with her eldest son.I have been trying to find where she was buried/cremared without any sucess.Benjamin is bureid in The Old Cemetery in Southampton with a sister of Catherines,Eleanor,who also died 1887,aged 30 and Catherine's mother,Louisa Kennett 1821 -1891 who, being a widow, was living with Catherine. Louisa's husband,Catherine's father,died in 1886 in Hackney at the age of 66,he was Henry Joseph Masters.I am looking for where he is buried but have had no luck at all,both Henry and Louisa were born in Kent but I have just come up against brick walls,he must be somewhere,the same for his daughter.
    Going back to the Bunch family,Benjamin's father was also Benjamin.He died in 1857 at the age of 50,he's also buried in The Old Cemetery but there's no headstone.He married Sarah Mead in 1845 in London,their children were Benjamin,Thomas,and Mary Ann Elizabeth who died aged 3 in 1856 and is also buried in Southampton in a communal grave with no stone.
    I didn't know until recently that Benjanin Sr was born in Hampshire,I had him born in London.I do know that his father was Thomas and possibly his grandad as well.Thinking that he was born in London,I'd worked out Bunches going back to the 1600s but now I don't know.
    I must just mention that as you know,on the 1851 census the name is Burch,but on the marriage for Benjamin and Catherine,the name is Bimch.We have to think"outside the box"sometimes as names are not always recorded correctly.
    I hope this explains,who I am looking for and what I already know about my Bunch Family.
    Regards Susan

Loves to help with queries

Susan, could you put every detail of Benjamin sen. & Benjamin jun.'s marriages on here in case they provide a clue?
    Although little may be gleaned, it seems important to locate the 1841 entry for Benjamin sen.
    Gerald.

Do you have a candidate for Benjamin born in London?
    Last edited by burt; 15-07-2014 at 8:19 PM. Reason: additional thought

What is the trade of the family? We have mention of blacksmith & carpenters!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast