Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin Bunch

janbooth

So is this your Benjamin jnr in the 1861 census of Southampton (RG9/677, folios 49/50, pages 40/1) living with his mother and stepfather:

39 Bedford Place

Thomas BRIDGER Head Mar 39 Green Grocer Hants Southton
    Sarah do Wife Mar 41 Essex Blacknow
    Benjamin BUNCH Son in law 15 Apr Middlesex London
    Thomas do do 11 Scholar Sussex Brighton
    Edwd BATEMAN Nephew 18 Officers Servant Essex
    Eliza PETTITT Niece 16 Middlesex London

1847 Electoral Roll of Westminster shows a Benjamin BUNCH living at 17 Vauxhall Bridge Road which could well tie in with Benjamin jnr's birthplace shown in the 1881 census.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 16-07-2014 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Correction of surname

janbooth

Thomas BRIDGER dies on 14 October 1896 (National Probate Calendar) and administration was granted to Emily BUDD wife of Richard BUDD - Thomas & Sarah had a daughter named Emily according to the 1871 census record.

Janet

janbooth

Just to help those of us looking for the antecedents of Benjamin BUNCH snr, his marriage record to Sarah MEAD is on Ancestry's London Parish Registers and reads:

6 February 1845 at St Mary, St Marylebone Benjamin BUNCH, full age, bachelor, Butler, St Mary District, father Thomas BUNCH, Smith, & Sarah MEAD, full age, spinster, of the same district, father George MEAD, Shoe Maker. The marriage was by licence (the allegation is also on Ancestry) and the witnesses were: Eleanor MAYNARD, Mary Ann MEAD, Thomas GRAY and Charles ? All parties signed.

This could maybe tie in with the Thomas BUNCH in post#3 above as he is shown as a Blacksmith.

Still cannot find Benjamin snr in the 1841 census yet.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for the info,as far as I know Benjamin Sr was a labourer,that covers a lot of things|He could have been a butler before he married,butlers lived in,as far as I know which wasn't ideal for a married man. I know that Sarah remarried to a Thomas Bridger and they had a daughter Emily also that on the 1871 census Benjamin and Thomas were living with them.I haven't looked at Emily, as her mother was my great x2 gran we are related so I'll see if I can trace her.
    Benjamin Jr was a lithographer,he worked at an office in Southampton,it's possibly the place where he died?
    It's quite possible that Benjamin Sr had a few siblings and there would be a Thomas amongst them as that was the father's name.The father must been born about 1775-1885 whether he was a blacksmith,I've no idea.I had that Thomas' father was also a Thomas but that was when I thought they originated from London.
    Benjamin Jr's brother,Thomas,married Catherine Worsley in Grantham,they didn't have any children,he died in 1924 and left his money to Catherine,Benjamin's widow,his wife was still living,maybe she didn't need it or they didn't get on!!!I can't remember what Thomas did for a living.

Loves to help with queries

Well done Janet, that is helpful.
    It seems to me the Benjamin Bunch at Warnford needs to be eliminated from our enquiries if possible. If he could be found elsewhere in 1861 or a death. He is listed as a butler and the head ot the household is 78 year old Rector of Warnford who could easily have guessed his age, as could the head of the household in London. The other is listed as a servant and while a butler is a servant it was more usual by virtue of his position to record as butler. Warnford Benjamin is listed as married but no wife there with him. I don't suppose this could be an instance of an individual being recorded twice in one census? I have come across it before.
    I am short of time at the moment but will check Hampshire records more exactly later. Gerald.

Starting to feel at home

According to my e-mail in box there is a post asking for me to put the details of both Benjamin's marriages but when I look at this page it isn't there.I can give the details of both marriages but I thought you already had them.Please let me know what's going on.Thanks

Loves to help with queries

I did post what you have in your e-mail, but then added the question as to whether you had a baptism for Benjamin senior in London
    prior to finding the 1851 Census entry which suggested he was born in Hampshire. I don't know why it didn't post, but Janet supplied
    the details of Benjamin senior's marriage anyway. I could have looked myself but am overloaded with work in my business just now.
    Gerald.

Jane Hurst

The Bunch family lived in Binsted from, at least, the 1665 Hearth Tax:-
    John Bunch Isington [Binsted] assessed for 1 hearth.

In 1699, on 18 Feb., Avis Hawkins and Thomas Bunch of Binsted, blacksmith, married at South Warnborough.
    The family also migrated to nearby Bentley and one branch seems to have been in Bramshott - also blacksmiths and a watch and clock maker. Yours Jane

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for that info..I am slowly filling in the gaps.Benjamin Sr's father was Thomas,he would have been born about 1775 more or less.His father could have been another Thomas? or maybe John? It would be good to fill in the 1700s as you have given me some of the 1600s.As you live in Hampshire,do you know of any web-sites dealing with Hampshire history? I am in Scotland,a bit too far to come and look myself!!!
    Thanks again for your help Regards Susan

Starting to feel at home

Default Benjamin Bunch

Hello,Sorry I haven't been on here for so long,I wasn't well I looked at Bunches from Binstead and places nearby and I think that's probably where mine came from. I found where Benjamin Jr's wife Catherine is buried which is in Ashford Kent so that's one mystery solved.I haven't worked out exactly which Thomas is Benjamin Sr's father and further back.It's a matter of going through available records to see what I can find.Any help is most welcome. Susan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast