Phantom

Default Aussies participating in Operation Overlord

Tracing George Hume Martin’s war service
    Service Number – VX30053
    I am researching information concerning my late father – like many returned servicemen he rarely spoke about his experiences and, being young, I was not really interested.
    I have a fair amount of information re-his Australian deployment, however I have hit dead ends finding information related to him being attached to British units in the landing at Normandy.
    My memory of his time with these forces are:-
    Dad was Major George Martin and was the Deputy Assistant Director of the Australian Ordinance Service, he was deployed to England to serve in the Allied Expeditionary Force. He and 13 other Australians (representatives from each of the Australian services (infantry, medical, transport, engineering etc) were sent to England and were subsequently involved with Operation Overlord.
    I understand, he set off from Brighten, in the middle of the night, and landed (perhaps on Gold Beach) on the 3rd day and drove straight onto a plastic mine which exploded, tipping over the jeep, fortunately not injuring both he and his batman.
    Somehow or other he made his way up to Brussels and stayed with a Madam Boel (Head of Allied Secret Service?????). He has two cigarette dishes and a lovely note from her, thanking him for his company. She also gave my father a book of France, (mainly Paris) published by Hitler.
    He also told us of a despicable jail, between Antwerp and Brussels, which held and tortured many Black Belgians.

I would sincerely appreciate any information, direction or personnel you can supply or direct me to, so I can continue my research.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Why not apply to NAA to get his service records-

Item details for: B883, VX30053

Request copy

Title
    MARTIN GEORGE HUME : Service Number - VX30053 : Date of birth - 25 Jul 1910 : Place of birth - MELBOURNE VIC : Place of enlistment - ROYAL PARK VIC : Next of Kin - MARTIN JOHN

Contents date range
    1939 - 1948

Series number
    B883
    Click to see which government agency or person created this item.

Control symbol
    VX30053

Item barcode

Access status
    Open

Date of decision
    04 Feb 2003

Physical format
    PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS (allocated at series level)

Records authority class number

Date registered
    13 Sep 2002

I would give you the link, but it times out - here is NAA link- just enter as a guest- https://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/I...earchForm.aspx
    pick namesearch, put in his surname and pick WW2 and then pick refine and out his service number in and you gat above.
    It should answer all of your questions.

regards

Robert