Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jac65

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    This is interesting, and I understand ( from setting up my own now defunct website previously) that links to other websites and vice versa can help traffic people through your website.

However, I'm sure at the begining of this thread, it was already pointed out that we at Brit-Gen, are free and a volunteer community/forum and are not actually the same site as War Forces, but no-one seems to read what is actually written at the beginning of this thread!!

I think I just blew a little fuse
    Hi

Whilst Brit-Gen is free and the moderators are volunteers the Administrator(s) are, I believe, FWR employees, also it appears that whilst Genealogy sections are only Brit-Gen the Military Sections are being used as a Free Forum by both Brit-Gen and FWR

Andy

Meadowmead

Wilkes_ml quote
    "It is not THIS site at all! I am rather confused as I keep seeing people referring to "this" site...when in fact the site they are refering to is not "this" site at all which is a very good forum where like minded people try their best to help as many people as possible.

The site people are unhappy about is a different one (maybe related to this one via supporting this forum or advertisement to keep this one up and running) and maybe when people want to complain about a website they are unhappy about, then they should actually name the actual site they are referring to?"

I can understand your annoyance with me, you are obviously an experienced member of this forum but I'm a new member and until I joined I didn't realise that this helpful forum was separate from the Forces Records section, it's not at all clear until you've paid your money to access the site! I wanted in depth info on my ancestors war records and I'm not getting it from the Forces War records site.
    Christina - thank you, I had already stopped the auto-renew for subscription when I joined and realised that I couldn't get the info I needed.

A fountain of knowledge

Meadowmead -it's always worth contacting the site directly to ask for a refund to be considered, you'll find most will help.

It's simply not a case of being misled in my experience, merely mistakes made, however understandable.
    Certainly all other sites I use are similar in their approach, some you see even less before becoming a member!

FWR -for the record- do offer free searches, free guides and free support before they'll ever need a payment to be made.

It's a little unfair on any site to be accused of anything underhand if you don't take advantage of these and simply plough ahead with a payment in the assumption something will definitely be found as they have similar for other persons (or not as the case may be).

Certainly I have seen complaints 'out there' for all sorts of sites that offer information declaring 'if they state they have ****records they should have everything', an understandable, although on reflection, naive viewpoint.

No one has everything not even 'the largest collection online', it's historically impossible, so any services that are offered truly freely (not 'sign up and hope we won't charge you' sites) should be encouraged and used fully.

If you think the FWR site is unclear until you've paid you should be specific in this respect when contacting their support, since the free searches will show you whom is there and whom not and which specific fields are completed, this is a confusing statement to me I am afraid.

On the other hand I know the site very well, so your opinion as a user is valuable -please let them know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123