Thread: beaverwood

beaverwood

Smile beaverwood

Hi can you help me to trace a bootmakers in Sydenham by the name of T J Colman & Son . He was part of my family.If some one knows can you contact me.I have a picture of the shop tacken about 1912.

Reputation beyond repute

Trace in what sense?

I'd try trade directories as a first step. You live in Bromley - there are good collections at London Metropolitan Archives and the Society of Genealogists.

The Post Office London County Suburbs Directory, 1914. [Part 3: Trades & Professional Directory] lists the premises as being at 176 Sydenham Road

Reputation beyond repute

Also the family are in the 1911 census at that address. Search for Thomas Colman born abt 1851 Norwich

beaverwood

Thanks for your reply my father was called Thomas colman born 1919

The only birth for a Thomas Colman in the whole of England on FreeBMD in 1919 is this one.
    Births Jun 1919
    Thomas J Colman (mother's maiden name Teague) registration distric Truro vol 5c page 158

Marriages March 1/4 1918
    James E Colman to Ethel Teague Truro 5c 193

There is a tree on ancestry that has Thomas J Colman, shoemaker, parents as Thomas Colman 1826 – 1910 and Sarah Smart 1828 – 1897.
    Thomas' parents John Colman 1800 – 1846 and Margaret Larkman 1798 – 1882. It does go back another generation and also has the wife's parentage. However they were all born in Norfolk whereas the James E Colman possible father of your father Thomas was born Kea Cornwall and ispossibly the son of Emily Jane Mitchell and

On same page FreeBMD
    Marriages Sept 1/4 1882
    James Colman and Emily Jane Mitchell reg district Truro vol 5c page 185

I found this marriage by starting with the 1911 census where James E and his sister Emily are with their mother Emily Jane. They are also with her in 1901, 1891 but there is not a husband present in any of the censuses. In 1891 she says she is married, 1901 widowed and a farmer, 1911 widowed, says she has had 4 children with 3 still living (but only ever 2 with her in the censuses. She doesn't say how long she was married and wasn't obliged to as she was not currently married. James E is with her and they are still in Kea, Cornwall.

None of what I have found can even be considered as your family until you purchase the birth certificate of your Dad. (do you have it?) which will give his father's name, occupation and his mother's maiden name as well as place of birth.

IF, IF what I have found is your father's family then I haven't come across a connection yet to Thomas J Colman.

A lot of ifs and buts here and as Peter says what exactly are you wanting to trace? Do you want to make the connection between Thomas J Colman born Norfolk c1851 and your father Thomas Colman born 1919.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

beaverwood

Hi i am trying trace back through my family as i have been told we were part of the Colman mustard firm. I been told part of the family came from norfolk. I think my father was born in Sydenham his name was Gerald Charles Thomas William Colman born 1919.I think the bootmaker in Sydenham T J Colman was a uncle or cousin . Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

I think my father was born in Sydenham his name was Gerald Charles Thomas William Colman born 1919
    You need to order a copy of the birth certificate

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

To find his birth in the index use FreeBMD

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Ok so we ignore everything in the previous posts now we have your father's complete name. Your father had a very distinctive set of names and this looks like his birth from the free site FreeBMD

Births December 1/4 1919
    Gerald C T W Colman (mother's maiden name Cranfield) Registration district Lewisham vol 1d page 2294

Marriages June 1916
    Charles S Colman to May I Cranfield registration district Aston Warwickshire vol 6d page 1078

You really need to buy the marriage certificate of your father and mother which will give you their father's names and occupations unless you already know your grandparents' names?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs