Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annie Trift

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Annie Trift

I am looking for Annie Trift born c 1857. Possibly Annie Thrift.
    I would like to find out when she was born, her baptism, and her family.
    What I do know about her is from when she married William Jenkins at St Marks Church, Surbiton on 27th Dec 1880. It records her father as John Trift Labourer and her residence then as Surbiton.
    Subsequent census
    1881 Anne Jenkins Dob 1860 Place of Birth Wandsworth
    1891 Annie Jenkins 1856 Gannett, Surrey
    1901 Ann Jenkins 1860 Wandsworth
    1911 Annie Jenkins 1861 Garrett Lane, Wandsworth

Annie died in 1923 then aged 62
    Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. With thanks.
    ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

In the LMA collection on Ancestry

St Anne, Wandsworth (district church of St Mary)...if I've interpreted it correctly

14 Jun 1858 Bap Ann daughter of John and Ann THRIFT of Garratt Lane, Labourer

Reputation beyond repute

Possible marriage

3 Nov 1856 Clapham Parish Church

John THRIFT, 20.5, bachelor, labourer - father Edward THRIFT, labourer
    Ann LEVRETT, 20, spinster - father Thomas LEVRETT labourer

Reputation beyond repute

1871 census - Annie Thrift

RG10/857 f 107 p 60

She is the niece of Robert GALLOWAY. Also in the household - William LEVERETT, nephew. That makes the above marriage pretty likely.

janbooth

There is a burial record at Wandsworth All Saints (via Ancestry's London Parish Records) of a John THRIFT on 3 May 1878, Union Workhouse, aged 42 which may be relevant to you. Your Annie THRIFT looks to be in Wimbledon in the 1871 census (RG10/857, folio 107, page 60):

4 Victoria Terrace

Robert GALLOWAY Head Mar 37 Ag Lab Canada
    Harriett do Wife Mar 34 Surrey Merton
    Annie THRIFT Niece 14 do Garratt
    William R LEVERETT Nephew 6 Kent Gravesend

Given the above information, i.e. the nephew William LEVERETT, this would fit in with the following marriage (again via Ancestry's London Parish Registers):

3 November 1856 at Clapham Holy Trinity John THRIFT, 20 1/2, bachelor, Labourer, Clapham, father Edward THRIFT, Labourer & Ann LEVRETT, 20, spinster, Clapham, father Thomas LEVRETT, Labourer. Witnesses: George HAYSON & Jane HAYSON (or HAYSOM) and the following marriage at Brixton St Matthew on 18 October 1857 - Robert GALLOWAY, 24, bachelor, Labourer, Acre Lane, father John GALLOWAY, Stonemason & Harriet LEVRETT, 21, spinster, Acre Lane, father Thomas LEVRETT, Labourer. Witnesses: Jas CHESTER & John CHESTER.

John THRIFT can be found in the 1841 census of Garratt, Wandsworth, along with his parents & siblings (HO107/1069/3, folio 40, page 16).

Janet

Snap, Peter, you beat me to it!
    Last edited by janbooth; 01-07-2014 at 8:40 AM. Reason: Extra text

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1861 census, there's a John FRITH, 24, widower with his daughter Ann,3, born Wandsworth.

They're living with an APPLEBY family.

RG9/373 f 78 p 19

I haven't delved into it but you'll know from other family history whether or not it's a possibility.

Wow
    Thanks Peter and Janet
    I had just popped to Surrey History Centre (there were also other things there I wanted to do) but nothing jumped out. I am now going to look and study what you have posted. It does sound good. I had seen the 1871 census but the Galloways and Levretts meant nothing to me! She was also a bit older as later she consistently gives her DOB as 1861. I guess her husband was younger!
    It just shows I didn't look hard enough.
    Well cup of tea at the ready I am going to have a lovely afternoon, thank you again. I had really tried myself but guess I was getting stuck in Surrey.
    ELMA

I wanted to say thank you again. I have checked all this out and all the details check out. I have accounted for all including the witnesses, the Galloways, Levretts and the Haysons, All are related.
    I really must get my head around the records for Surrey and London!

Does anyone know if Maybury Road, Tooting Graveney could be anything to do with a hospital in 1923?
    Geography is not my strong point. I bake a reasonable cake though!

janbooth

Not sure about 1923, but a Google search shows that Maybury St SW17 is a car park site for St George's Hospital and a Google map search shows that the hospital is to the north of the car park site. However, a Wikipedia search shows that St George's Hospital was established in 1954 when it took over the old Grove Fever and Fountains hospitals. Apparently the Grove Fever Hospital entrance was off Blackshaw Road (Maybury Street runs of Blackshaw Road) and opened in 1899. It became a Military Hospital in 1916.

If you do a Google search on Grove Fever Hospital and Fountains Hospital, you will find a wealth of details about both. It sounds as though the hospital you were asking about could perhaps be the Grove Fever Hospital.

Janet

Annfisk

I believe Ann to be the daughter of John Thrift. His sister, Charlotte married my great great grandfather, George William Haysom in 1857, St. John's, Waterloo. She was born c1838. I have the parents as Edward Thrift and Jane from the 1841 Census of Garratt, Wandsworth. Edward also named on Charlotte's Wedding Certificate. Edward and Jane's children were - Edward born c1830, William born c1834, Mary born c1834, John born c1837, Charlotte, Jane born c1840, Henry baptised 29 Sept. 1846 St Marys, Summertown, Surrey and lastly Richard baptised the same date and place.
    In the 1851 Census Charlotte was at Gannatt Farm House, Garrett Green, Wandsworth. She was one of 11 servants working at the farm. No owners were listed.
    Charlotte and George had the following children - George William, Richard John (my great grandfather), Emma Charlotte, William Randel, Mary Ann, Charlotte Elizabeth Susan, Eliza, Robert, Walter Edward, Jane, Annie Eliza and Alice Maude Mary.
    Happy to share more infromation if I can. How are you connected to Annie?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast