In an earlier thread "Grace Hanson nee Hart 1861-1926" started in 2011 on this Forum I posted initial data on the parents and siblings of Grace Hart who married William Henry Hanson in Queensland, Australia. In this post and a subsequent new thread on Albert Aaron Hanson one of Walter's brothers I will include data on their World War 1 service and deaths. On another new thread I will also post data on Sergeant Cecil Hubert Aaron Hart son of Bernard Hart who was also killed in WW1. Bernard was a brother of Grace.
It is very likely that the Hanson lines may have little knowledge about their Jewish roots and wide reading of the various newspaper articles on the Australian Newspaper Archives ( Trove collection) provides no records on the death of Grace or of her children and husband. This is in contrast to a range of articles on her siblings Bernard, Phoebe, Rosina, Henry who had also settled in Australia in NSW. Interestingly, the siblings Bernard, Phoebe and Rosina appeared to have have kept in very close touch with messages relating to bereavements and marriages in particular but with no mention of Grace or her family. One explanation maybe that Grace and her brother Henry married out of the Jewish faith as did their sister Eva and brother Napthali ( there were 10 children born to Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour the parents). When Aaron Hart my 3x great grandfather died in 1887 he left the bulk of his bequest to Amelia his eldest child and my 2x great grandmother with no mention of his other children except his son Arthur Robert Hart ( he is likely to be Napthali Asher Hart who changed his name and was aka Asher).

Walter Hanson was born 3 March, 1898 in Queensland to William Henry Hanson and Grace Hart. The Jewish roots for Walter and his siblings are through their mother Grace and the Jewish matrilineal line. I have also posted previously that Aaron Hart and his wife Ann Rebecca Craswcour aka Rebecca were Anglo Jews and there is significant data on their lines in wide ranging records both online and in records I hold.
The Australia Birth Index also has records for the birth of Grace Hanson 24 April 1896 Queensland; Percy Hanson 14 May 1900 Quuensland; Rebecca Hanson 27 April 1904 and there are other siblings including Albert Aaron Hanson 1894-1917; Joseph Hanson 1906; Abraham George Hanson 1892-1892.

The following data is an extract of more detailed records on the WW1 service of Walter Hanson which appears in the AIF Project website.
Walter Hanson 1142 born Queensland -Religion Church of England; Occupation labourer age 19 single; parents William Henry Hanson and Grace Hanson 349 Johnston Street Abbotsford Victoria. Enlisted 29 Sept 1914. Private 5th Battalion 1st Reinforcement.
Killed in action 20 Sept, 1917 Buried Hooge Crater Cemetery ( Plot X1, Row G; Grave No 14) Zillebeke, Belgium Panel No 43)

Enlisted 29 Sept 1914; Embarked Melbourne, Victoria HMAT A32 22 Dec 1914

Sadly, Walter and his brother Albert were killed 27 days apart.

I will post further on Walter, Albert, their parents and siblings.
Phillip