Default Claude Cecil Cairns able seaman

Hello there I'm very new to this and have not a clue how too go about searching for things relating to departed grandmothers brother(my great uncle)..having listened to my nan tell us the heartbreaking story of when she was 16 and all alone living in London and the naval officer coming to tell her the awful news her only sibling her brother Claude had been killed at war ,my nan never got over it and sadly she passed away last year ,,soon after I found her brother had been commemorated at Chatham naval memorial where we scattered Nan's ashes which I know she would have been happy with.....for my dear mother who never got too meet her uncle and for me I'd love to find some more information on how he died ,his regiment and any pictures would mean so much to us ..all my Nan's grandchildren and great grandchildren Vist the memorial and would love to know more about our Nan's brother he's a hero to us all ,,would be very grateful if someone could point us in the right direction ,,I have the date he died ,his regiment an that's it ,,thanks very much

Reputation beyond repute

In order for us to provide the most helpful answer, you really need to share what information you have with us. Name, Date of death etc?

Sorry ,his name was Claude Cecil Cairns , he died on 01/11/1944..i think he served on hm lct363 as an able seaman ..thanks very much

Reputation beyond repute

Please see the research guide in particular the advice on obtaining service records

According to the cwgc site, his number was C/JX 156463 and he served on HMLCT 363. I'm rather hoping that someone will translate that last crumb of info!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

HMLCT stands for His Majesty's Landing Tank Craft.

If you google there's quite a lot of info about various ones.

Pam

Hello Michael
    just a note to say I have moved this thread from the Introduce Yourself forum to the WW11 forum and given it a more relevant title ( Claude Cecil Cairns able seaman) as it has developed in to the research area.
    Everybody else has done the hard work on the research side.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you very much

pippycat

Naval-history.net has mention of Claude C Cairns, able seaman, C/JX 156463 LCT(R) 363

same site: Petty Officer Basil Woolf has written his own account of the same battle where Claude was killed.
    The Battle for Walcheren Island (Operation Infatuate) 1st November 1944.

- Claude listed on the following link:
    https://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1944-11NOV.htm

LCT(R) 363 seems to be a landing craft adapted to fire rockets.

Rebecca

Thank you very much rebbeca your a star