clarefmshaw

Question Preventive Water Guard

Dear List

Can anyone please point me in the direction of information about the Preventive Water Guard? I know my g-g-g-grandfather JAMES CRONE was with the service in the 1820s-30s, and subsequently with the Coastguard service. It appears that he served on HMS Bathurst, one of the Preventive Water Guard vessels, along the Kent coast in about 1828 (my g-g-grandfather JOHN CRONE was born on board). He was definitely serving at Hensbrook, Sheppey in 1831 when another of his children was baptised on the island (he is listed as being with the 'Preventive Service' on the baptism register).

I'm really interested in the history of the service - any book references would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Clare

Reputation beyond repute

This contains a brief history, research hints and a reading list: -

https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...?sLeafletID=54

clarefmshaw

Thanks Peter for the info.

Looking through the NA info, it looks like my x3 grandfather, James Crone, must have served with the Coast Blockade, as the dates would tally with his son being born on board HMS Bathurst in 1828 just off Deal in Kent - I know this ship was used in the Coast Blockade around this time to patrol the east Kent coastline for smugglers.

I will follow up on the book refs - many thanks again.
    Clare