Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Emma Godfree/Lewis

I have been researching Emma GODFREE born in 1844 and baptised 8.Sept 1844 Lambeth St Mary, Surrey. Her parents were Robert Godfree & Susannah Payne Lynn.
    Emma married an American Soldier called George Lewis at St Judes Church Chelsea on the 11th February 1871, George's address is given as "Chelsea Barracks"
    The next time I find Emma & George is 1880 living in Toledo, Lucas, Ohio United States, they have a daughter called Lottie aged 0 on the census, and George gives his birthplace as Ohio, United States, but I have been unable to find any info on when they went to America.
    As George was a Solider would Emma have returned to America with him and his regiment and thats why I am unable to find documents?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank you.
    K.

Have you been checking spelling variations? Godfrey, perhaps - officials tended to use whatever they thought was correct.
    What about passenger lists?

Hi Lesley
    Emma married George Lewis in 1871 & the next find I have for them is the 1880 census from The United States with them living in Toledo, Lucas, Ohio, so I assume that at some point from 1871 to 1880 that George & Emma went to America however so far I have been unable to find details of travel so was wondering if the American Army would have arranged the trip and how I could find out if they did arrange for the wife's of service men to enter America.
    Maybe George returned to the States and Emma followed on later, I don't yet but hope to find out!

I seem to remember seeing old newsreels about boats full of GI brides crossing the pond..... They looked like civilian ships, but there must have been organisation behind it.....
    Have you asked that nice Mr Google about "GI Brides"?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Just because George says he was born in Ohio, it doesn't mean he was an American soldier as in a soldier attached to a US regiment. In fact, I would have thought it highly unlikely that any American soldiers would be billeted over here in the 1800s.

Have you found George in any UK census and/or a later US census?

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I seem to remember seeing old newsreels about boats full of GI brides crossing the pond..... They looked like civilian ships, but there must have been organisation behind it.....
    Have you asked that nice Mr Google about "GI Brides"?
    Think GI brides were mainly, if not entirely, in WW2, Lesley.

Pam

A possible for George Lewis in the 1871 (UK) census.

RG10/775 folio 95 page 10
    Based at the Royal Horse Infirmary and Military Camp Huts and Remount Establishment, Charlton (south London)
    George Lewis, 23, unmarried, born Plymouth Devon. I'm trying to decide whether it says Private (more likely) or Driver (more what it looks like! ) Royal Artillery.

No doubt the US census enumerators were just as capable as copying stuff incorrectly as the UK ones were so George's 1880 birthplace of Ohio may be wrong.
    Pam

On the marriage certificate George's father is named as John Lewis and his occupation is 'farmer' so that could be in either Ohio or Devon.

How certain are you that you have the right couple in Ohio 1880? Though not impossible it does seem odd that 'your' George and Emma married in 1871 and have only one child [age 0] in 1880.

This seems too coincidental to ignore. Same father's name for Amy [could Amy be Emma?] Same occupation for George, and his father's a bailiff [farm bailiff?]

Church of St Philip Battersea, Apr 6th 1874.

George Lewis 26, bachelor, soldier, Stanley St, father JOHN bailiff
    Amy Godfrey, 25, spinster, Stanley St, father Robert [unsure what it says for his occ..maybe modeller]

Witnesses Edward White, Mary Jane White

I have compared the signatures on the 1871 and 1874 marriages, they are very similar. Suggest you look yourself.

I now have good reason to believe the two marriages are for the same couple, there's a Military record on Find My Past which will be of interest, FMP do not allow their records to be transcribed and posted on the forum, however you can purchase some pay as you go credits. Look on the record set titled 'British Army Service Record 1760 - 1915.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast