Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

almach when I was looking for info on Emma I found the 1871 marriage and an 1880 American census record for George Lewis aged 35 birthplace Ohio United States, wife Emma Lewis aged 36 birthplace England & daughter Lottie Lewis aged 0 birthplace Ohio United States, all this from Ancestry, and although I have been looking for the Lewis family on our 1881 and upwards census records I have not yet found any further details about them.

Thanks for your clarification gardenpest29

We can now try to find the couple and possible children on census returns. I've not much time right now, but I think I did find possible census returns last night, if no-one else adds details I'll post later, if you find anything please update your thread.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    More details, Pam: BORN 1846 Somersham, Coldstream Guards, relevant info regarding marriage is on page four, you'll see the details provided are a combination of both marriage records!!!
    Thanks almach. And power to your persistence in going through possibly umpteen George Lewis' before finding this one.

Gardenpest29 - I would advise you to obtain George's service record from Findmypast. Lots of details about him - including the fact that he was nowhere near Ohio in 1880!

Pam

There's this baptism on Ancestry's 'London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906'

Aug 22nd 1873 at St Philip Battersea.

Florence Margarette Lewis dau of Emma and George Lewis [soldier] of 18, Stanley St

I couldn't find her on census, she may have died in infancy: Florence Margaret Lewis age 1, death reg Oct-Nov-Dec 1873, Wandsworth, 1d/408

Born June 1870, christened July 20th 1870 at Chelsea St Saviour

George Robert Lewis son of Emma Godfrey and George Lewis [soldier] of 17, Green St.

Think this is George a widow in 1901, 3, East St, St Luke Chelsea. RG13; Piece: 72; Folio: 76; Page: 17

George Lewis 53, ??? Constable, Somersham Suffolk
    George G Lewis 22, son, General Labourer, Chelsea.

If it is him his son George Robert must have died as a child, there's this possible: George Robert Lewis born 1870, death reg Oct-Nov-Dec 1870 lambeth 1d/258

1891, 3, East St, Chelsea, RG12; Piece: 59; Folio: 66; Page: 54

George Lewis 43 [indexed 63] Park Keeper, Somersham Suffolk
    Amy Lewis 43, Machinist, London
    George Lewis 13, Chelsea

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks almach for the 1891 and 1901 census details. For some reason I was having no luck. And I still can't find any of them in 1881.

In 1901 George senior is a Park Constable.

I did think I was doing rather well when I found not only a birth registration in September quarter 1877 Chelsea registration district for George Godfrey Lewis which must surely refer to George junior, but I also found a marriage for a George Godfrey Lewis in 1904 though I did wonder what he was doing in Coventry registration district. Turns out that's not our George who married. That's the George who was born Stoke-on-Trent district March quarter 1884.

Pam

Where I have been going wrong is I have been looking for Emma Lewis, not Amy. Will now refocus my efforts.

almach
    On the baptism record for George Robert Lewis 17 July 1870 address 17 Green St, the entry above for the same address for Elmeda Jelly daughter to Robert & Susannah Catherine Fanny, Susannah is Emma's older sister.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast