Thread: Ron Jenkins

mattybrown

Default Ron Jenkins

I have a photograph of a young air gunner who was killed in 1943. He was billeted in Bridlington at the time of the photograph. He is in a flying suit.

The name Ron Jenkins is written on the back of the photograph. After years of family history researching I can't bring myself to dispose of the photograph. He might have descendants who would like to have it.

Any suggestions as to how I can find his family ? I believe he was in 10th squadron.

Cwgc.org has a 1943 entry for an Air Gunner called Ronald Jenkins of 10 Sqdn which includes the names of his parents. You could use FreeBMD to look for other likely children, and their marriages. Searching forward can be slow as it's nit so easy to get at the records...

You could also scan the photo and put a copy on sites like Forces Reunited. Someone might recognise him.
    Good luck

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Pipped to the post by Lesley, but although this may be old news, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website shows two Ron Jenkins killed in 1943. One was Ronald Frank killed on 26 June 1943, listed on the El Alamein Memorial. He was an Australian, but a Flight Sergeant in the RAF. The Australian War Memorial site shows his squadron as 262 RAF. The second one shown on the CWGC site is Ronald Lascelles Jenkins Flight Sergeant and Air Gunner, aged 21, killed 22 October 1943. 10 Squadron were based at Melbourne, Yorkshire from August 1942 onwards and flew Handley Page Halifax BIIs and BIIIs. There is a 10 Squadron Association, they may be interested in your photo.
    As for family, it looks as though the Yorkshire Ron's Dad died in 1949 and his Mum in 1967.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

mattybrown

Thank you for your reply. I found a Ronald Lascelles Jenkins on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but wasn't sure if it was the correct person. Thanks for the idea of Forces Reunited.

mattybrown

Sorry I'm new to this so think I've mixed up my replies to Lesley and Peter. That's invaluable information about his parent's year of death.

Thank you very much.

Matty

As most of our members read every post in a thread that interests them I think you can rest assured that they will have seen ypur answer and know exactly what you were talking about.
    The fact that you have acknowledged their answers is great.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Matty, A bit more information.
    Ron Jenkins aircraft was a Halifax II, Serial Number JB974, Code ZA-T. The crew of seven were, in no particular order, Ronald Lascelles Jenkins,21,Flight Sergeant, Air Gunner; Frank Hewitt, 31, Flying Officer, Air Bomber; Harold Kearsley, 34, Sergeant, Flight Engineer; Robert Lionel Harman Ball, 20, Flying Officer, Navigator; Richard Thomas Burman, 22, Sergeant, Air Gunner; Herbert Henry Vincent Wilkinsom,31, Flight Lieutenant, Pilot; Kenneth Lomas, 23, Flight Sergeant, Wireless Operator. Their Halifax was one of over 500 aircraft whose target was Kassel. The Halifax crashed at Hagen and all the crew were killed and have graves in Reichswald Forest Cemetery.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

mattybrown

Thank you very much for that information Peter. I am trying to put his photograph on Forces Reunited but as a civilian I'm finding it difficult to navigate the website. No doubt I'll get there in the end.

Matty