mordzy

Default Seeking info on Leslie Webster RAF WW2.

Hi, I sent off to the RAF to get my granddads service records/medals which was successful.

However the service records don't really give any detail of rank/roll/posting/unit company etc etc.

I want to know more about what he did and what unit/company he was in and any other info i can find. I have his diary and know he was posted to Egypt with the RAF possibly SIS but can't seem to find any info.

Thanks

Alex

mordzy

Found the following

LAC L Webster 1482874

I'm rather puzzled. When my Dad's records came, they included all of his postings, promotions, etc (but not his medals).

What did they send you?

mordzy

Just a single sheet of a4 with his discharge date and the tour medals.

1939-45 star - Battle of Britain
    Africa Star
    1939-45 War Medal

My granddad never collect them, probably for the same reasons he refused to speak about the war other than to say "you don't need to know anything about it other than it was hell on earth... dust, flies and death" I was in my early teens when he died. When i asked him for a school project i was too young to understand or interested enough persevere in understanding and finding out what he did/went through... something that i deeply regret.

All i know is what my mum told me which is very little. He was stationed in Egypt, dressed as a local and searched bedouin encampments for munitions as part of the RAF intelligence. which i believe to be SIS now MI6

The only reason i can think that nothing else was on the papers is because its not been declassified? perhaps thats just my over imagination.

Perhaps your farther had his medals issued previously?

I do remember having to send a cheque to pay for them.. took a couple of weeks for them to come through.

I wonder whether the medals and service records applications are separate? I got about 8 sheets (Dad was a lifetime serviceman) plus about 11 sheets of abbreviations to help in understanding. It all came fromRAF Cranwell, and took 3 months to arrive.

There's a message at the top of this forum which will take you to information about how to apply for records. Have a look at the forms and see if they're the same as the ones you used before.... I might be wrong, of course.

mordzy

Thanks Leslie.

Its possible i guess.

Famous for offering help & advice

Mordzy,

When I sent for my Uncles service record the paperwork from Cranwell came with a contact phone number. If I were you I would ring them and ask why you haven't received his full service record and what is going on. Sounds odd.

Mitch