Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living People

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Question Living People

Could someone tell me whether I'm right or wrong on this question please? I had always thought that if you uploaded your Family Tree to the internet, you had to obtain permission from any living people first, before their names and details were included on it.

For example, the GenesReunited site mentions this, so I assume that if someone uploaded details without permission, if they didn't remove the names when requested ....... a complaint to GR would mean that they would deal with the matter?

In the case of an individual's own web site, where they have uploaded their Family Tree, if my assumption is correct re this rule ..... how can you make them remove the info, or is this not possible?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Reputation beyond repute

See some correspondence with the OIC here:

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....rotection.html

I'm not clear how up to date it is.

Note in particular "...we would strongly recommend that any information provided to the genealogy community stresses the need to process personal data with due regard to the interests of the data subject to whom the personal data being processed relates."

If I interpret the question correctly, it would seem to my non-legal mind that the Human Rights Act might be relevant and could be cited in dealings with the originator of the data and with the operators of the site where the offending data is hosted. There might be a problem if it isn't hosted in the UK but perhaps you may recall Godfrey vs Demon Internet which was a case with implications for all British ISPs even though the alleged libel did not necessarily originate from within the UK.

Hi Peter,
    Many thanks for your reply and the link.

I wrote to him three days ago, requesting that my name, my husband's name and my brother's name be removed ...... however, no reply as yet, even though he wrote to me earlier the same day giving me the address of his site.

I didn't write to him using his hotmail address on his web site, as I didn't want him to have my email address, so I wrote via Genes Reunited. The fact that he's uploaded my direct line of descent doesn't worry me at all, except that he's been exceptionally careless with Mothers' giving birth before they were born, or after they died, also that my details are incorrect!

It looks like I'll just have to put up with it, as I don't want any sort of legal 'fight' with him ..... I'll just delete his name from my list of contacts, plus a little giggle that my line of descent doesn't even make sense! He has my Grandparents (who were born in 1884 and 1891) as my Parents and my Father as the lone Parent of my Grandfather!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I havent put my or my parents brother,cousins or in short "living" ect info on genesre or any other tree i have put on the web incase someone else decides to use it and distribute it and finding myself or having put someone else in that position would irritate me more than my gnat bites at the moment ! I worry about stolen identities or maybe thats just my mind working overtime

BeeE586

Earlier in the year I found details of my living nephew's birth on Genes Reunited. A very unusual surname, coupled with his exact date and place of birth - in a place where it would not be expected - meant that it was almost certainly him. The only living people entered on my tree are my son and myself. I tried to contact the person who had entered these details, (who had the same surname), and asked for access to his tree, but he chose not to reply. I then contacted GR, explained the situation, and although they could not give me any information on the person (quite rightly) my nephew's details were immdiately removed from the site and I received a very handsome apology. The details have not reappeared.

I do believe that GR acted very properly in this matter and I applaud them for it.

Eileen

My own details do appear on several other trees in GR, that of a first cousin and several other relatives of lesser degree. This is with my permission.

Reputation beyond repute

"It looks like I'll just have to put up with it, as I don't want any sort of legal 'fight' with him"

I wouldn't imagine you would.

If he declines to remove it, you could contact the host site (probably his ISP) and complain to them, mentioning in vague terms the Human Rights legislation.

Hi Tracey & Eileen,

Thanks for the info that Genes Reunited will do something about it, if they receive a complaint ..... that is nice to know and I applaud them for it. This person hasn't got my details on the GR site (as yet, I will keep checking! ) it's his own web site.

As you both know, you have to enter details about yourself in order to upload your Family Tree. I copied some of my family files by gedcoms and merged these into a new file called Genes Reunited. These were all my Cornish families, but only direct lines of my Yorkshire families, plus all of my husband's families. I took the time and trouble to delete all the names of living people, except for a few who had given me permission to display their names.

Then I uploaded this Genes Reunited file (approximately 8500 names) by one gedcom to the GR site. I have been contacted by lots of people and I'm very grateful for that, this is the first 'trouble' I have ever had.

However, I have now removed permission from every contact to view my tree, this makes no difference to people contacting you, as you are aware. Although I've never asked to view trees, people have given permission to me to view theirs, but I only did it once and gave it up as a bad job, because it's too slow!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    "It looks like I'll just have to put up with it, as I don't want any sort of legal 'fight' with him"

I wouldn't imagine you would.

If he declines to remove it, you could contact the host site (probably his ISP) and complain to them, mentioning in vague terms the Human Rights legislation.
    Hi Peter,
    Please forgive me for being a 'numpty' but if you get a minute sometime, could you please tell me how I do that? I haven't got a clue.

I'm going offline now Peter, but I forgot to mention that I received a reply from Nottingham University, in respect of the copy Marriage Licence, on the 26 August:

We will send you an estimate of the cost of copying the document, together with a copyright declaration form, within the next week.

Reputation beyond repute

"...could you please tell me how I do that? "

I was going to say I'll drop you a private message only you seem to have it turned off. It'll be a public one then, I'll have a look later on.
    Last edited by Peter Goodey; 01-09-2005 at 8:04 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast