Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MythicalMarian

Default Can I run something by you all...?

I am now at saturation point with ancestral information, and although I wanted to start writing up the history a couple of months ago, the new discovery of yet another of my Mum's lines got in the way of this and I found myself researching yet more folk. For the moment, I have decided I MUST call a halt to this and begin to put everything together while I still have some brain cells left. Therefore, I turned once more to ideas about the format of a family history.

I know I definitely do not want a dry narrative; I would much prefer to combine my love of family history with my love of history in general, and especially my love of writing. I have hit upon the following idea - please tell me if you think it's daft.

I intend to call my history 'Ancestral Voices' and I thought I could write short accounts - first person narratives - of several of my ancestors whom I've come to know and love throughout my research. I don't mean that each ancestor would tell their whole life story, but they could tell of a time that was very significant in their lives. An example would be my 3xgreat grandma Ann Linney, who lost her husband and two sons in one day during a local mining disaster. I thought I could have Ann tell us this 'as it happened' so to speak - i.e. she had their meal on the stove, she was wondering why they were late etc., and all the horror and fear she must have gone through when the news broke that there had been an accident at the pit. That's just one idea.

Another could be my 4xgreat grandad John Pigot who was actually in Jamaica when the slave revolt of 1832 took place - John could give us his account etc.

I would try to use a representative of each line I had traced. Even those who have little 'flesh on their bones' could perhaps give us an account of life as a shoemaker or a farmer in such and such a year in such and such a place. I could also start from the earliest ones I know and work downwards to make it a historical journey through the ages.

Each personal account could be accompanied by a family tree of how the person fits into my family history, together with photos, certificates, snippets from wills etc. (Or this could all go in an Appendix) Within the little stories I could put all the background research I have done, so that it is part of the whole picture rather than just a dry passage of 'Cheadle in 1760' or something.

What do you think, guys and gals? Would this be a lively and interesting way to go about things?

I'd really appreciate the opinion of all you wonderful folk on here - especially those who have laboured to write up their own histories. It seems such a huge task, but for me, the personal approach - having the ancestors actually talking to us - fills me with more enthusiasm than trying to wrestle something lively out of the run-of-the-mill report from FH or other such packages.

Sounds interesting!

I would certainly urge you to get stuck in. The beauty of word processors is that if you do discover a new line or further information on an ancestor, it is relatively easy to change a chapter without having to re-write the whole thing.

I wrote my family history up as a story, mainly because that was the only way I could get my son to read it, let alone keep it after I'm gone. However, it was amazing how many times, as I was putting the story together from a filing cabinet full of notes, the significance of a date struck me. Like the ancestor who worked on the Crystal Palace who would have doubtless taken his family to the opening day, which was his son's 16th birthday. Or the ancestor whose wife died on their first wedding anniversary.

You'll really enjoy writing it, and you will also think of other avenues of research that you hadn't previously thought of!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian
    I am now at saturation point with ancestral information
    You must have the other half of my amulet.

I know I definitely do not want a dry narrative
    Good - really boring - especially those produced by family history programmes

I would much prefer to combine my love of family history with my love of history in general
    Good - try to present the history in a way which can draw out others interest (however dormant) in history.

I thought I could write short accounts - first person narratives - of several of my ancestors whom I've come to know and love throughout my research.
    Sounds interesting. If you have lots of original source documents (photos, letters, wills, even census and military records, etc), you might break up the narrative a little with embedded images, short extracts of letters, newspaper clippings, etc. But then you may prefer to keep the narrative as stand alone. Maybe try two versions for one person and see which looks and reads best?

If you're writing is up to it, for any stories from the 17th century and before, perhaps try handwriting the account in Secretary Hand (on tea stained paper?!) and include a typed transcript for those who cannot read it.

An example would be my 3xgreat grandma Ann Linney, who lost her husband and two sons in one day during a local mining disaster
    There's an example, maybe get a newspaper report of the accident and take the headline to begin your narrative?

Each personal account could be accompanied by a family tree of how the person fits into my family history, together with photos, certificates, snippets from wills etc.
    The way I've presented these sorts of documents (my narrative writing is not really inspiring) is in separate folders or portfolios as though each is a bit a of reference library - but for those reading the history they have only the relevant information in front of them, they don't have to go looking through endless reels of census films as I did years ago. The source documents are loose so family members can pull them apart and make sense themselves of the history and match documents to the family trees. Each document has a reference so that it can be put back in the right place fairly easily.

What do you think, guys and gals? Would this be a lively and interesting way to go about things?
    You're trying something different - so good on you for that. I say give it a go

It seems such a huge task, but for me, the personal approach - having the ancestors actually talking to us - fills me with more enthusiasm than trying to wrestle something lively out of the run-of-the-mill report from FH or other such packages.
    See my comments above about fh programmes

Knowledgeable and helpful

It sounds like a great idea and one that could work well with your love of writing. Future generations, especially the younger ones might be more inclined to read it in this form.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    If you have lots of original source documents (photos, letters, wills, even census and military records, etc), you might break up the narrative a little with embedded images, short extracts of letters, newspaper clippings, etc. ......
    There's an example, maybe get a newspaper report of the accident and take the headline to begin your narrative ...
    I agree with Geoffers here and was going to suggest something similar to tie the fiction element into the facts - just as at the end of a film drama based on a factual story the documented historical facts sometimes appear on screen as the story ends. It helps to illustrate the reality of the story you're telling.

Carol

spison

I think that if you believe in an idea it will be successful so I'd go for it.

I find a narrative good for recording what I've found and my thoughts on my next 'plan of attack' but I don't plan on publishing. If I do I'll have to think seriously about the format as many I've seen are dull.

You idea sounds interesting.

Jane

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    It sounds like a great idea and one that could work well with your love of writing. Future generations, especially the younger ones might be more inclined to read it in this form.

I agree with Geoffers here and was going to suggest something similar to tie the fiction element into the facts - just as at the end of a film drama based on a factual story the documented historical facts sometimes appear on screen as the story ends. It helps to illustrate the reality of the story you're telling.

Carol
    Yes, Carol - and of course thank you Geoffers! This is exactly what I intended. The newspaper account of the mining disaster for instance - I would tie in with that. There's an added bonus in that too, because in the newspaper account of the aftermath another of my ancestors (the two families actually came together a generation later) is mentioned as visiting the bereaved families on behalf of the colliery to offer assistance to the needy and this would be an effective way, I think, of showing the two sides of Mum's family in one story.

I'm going to get started....

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A wonderful chance now to 'go for it'
    Something is telling you to do it NOW! & you have the colour & empathy to do the stories justice.
    Not an opportunity to put aside when you feel you are ready & you must be to have posted your query.

Put the daily computer 'fix' on hold Girl & give forth.

Enjoy your research all over again as you write.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    I intend to call my history 'Ancestral Voices'
    You could have a separate section for the "black sheep" called "Ancestral Vices"!

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    You could have a separate section for the "black sheep" called "Ancestral Vices"!
    Nice one, Wirral I certainly have a few of those.

Thanks for all your encouragement, folks. Everyone is so wonderful on this Forum. I don't know what I'd do without you all. I can't promise not to nip in and out while I'm working on my project. In fact, I may post a tiny snippet of something to get your feedback in a few days or so. Then you can tell me whether or not it's going to work.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    .........and for the unwashed poor in years gone by "Ancestral Lices"...........sorry! this is getting a bit off track

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast