Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Living People

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB
    Hello Diane
    I can't even begin to work out in what way 'your' side of the weed is connected to the Ley side

You have given me a good excuse for a small glass of something....
    Best wishes
    Ann
    I'm sorry about your headache Ann! If you want another excuse for a small glass of something, if you scroll over to the left of my husband's name, you will find the name Amanda Ley b. 1960. She is descended from a John Ley b. 1730 d. 1789 who married Jane Trengrouse b. 1742. A very distant connection!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Hi Peter & Guy,

Thank you both for your responses ..... I'll 'bow out' now from this thread, as I didn't intend for it to cause any sort of 'friction' between people who hold different views to me.

Reputation beyond repute

"If the person is not amenable to requests, trying to force his hand will not achieve anything."

Who is talking about forcing his hand? The man is subject to the acceptable use policy of his ISP. Diane was interested in a second string to her bow and I suggested writing to the ISP mentioning the AUP and made some tongue in cheek suggestions about the wording - tongue in cheek because I knew perfectly well that Diane isn't the sort of lady to actually put it in those terms.

In any case she doesn't agree with either of us so discussion over.

Guy Etchells

No friction Diane, just different opinions.
    Cheers
    Guy

Default Update

I have just received this message, via Genes Reunited site, in response to my second email requesting the removal of the three names.

Subject : Re - Nicholas Trengrouse

Dear Diane
    Sorry about putting you on my Website I have removed you now.
    I never wanted to offend you
    Regards Dennis

We are now showing as a big, white empty square.

Dennis Harker

I note that brief mention of identity theft was made earlier in this thread.

There was an article the other day on the BBC - can't remember if it was on NEWS24 or one of the other News programmes. However, it was talking about how easy it is to get personal details and then use these to draw money from banks etc.

If you are drawing just a small amount of money then most banks will ask a few simple security questions without needing any form of id. These questions often include mother's maiden name, date of birth, place of birth, etc. etc. All four major banks were found wanting, handed over money to the investigator and have responded negatively to the BBC's follow up.

On the strength of this I have removed family trees that I had made available on my free Wanadoo webspace for other family members and contacts. It would have been possible to password protect them I suppose but to what stength? People who steal ids go to great lengths to get personal details.

At the moment I have left my tree on Genes Reunited as it is sort-of protected from general prying eyes. However, my subscription to this service has not produced any real results over the last six months and I may remove my tree and stop using it.

I'm not paranoid but do take normal procedures to prevent phishing, scams and id theft and this latest article on the Beeb made me realise that publishing such details on open websites may make it easier for id theft to occur.

Just my two-penn'orth.

Dennis Harker

P.S. I am not the Dennis referred to in Diane's post above!!

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Harker
    I note that brief mention of identity theft was made earlier in this thread.

There was an article the other day on the BBC - can't remember if it was on NEWS24 or one of the other News programmes. However, it was talking about how easy it is to get personal details and then use these to draw money from banks etc.

If you are drawing just a small amount of money then most banks will ask a few simple security questions without needing any form of id. These questions often include mother's maiden name, date of birth, place of birth, etc. etc. All four major banks were found wanting, handed over money to the investigator and have responded negatively to the BBC's follow up.

On the strength of this I have removed family trees that I had made available on my free Wanadoo webspace for other family members and contacts. It would have been possible to password protect them I suppose but to what stength? People who steal ids go to great lengths to get personal details.

At the moment I have left my tree on Genes Reunited as it is sort-of protected from general prying eyes. However, my subscription to this service has not produced any real results over the last six months and I may remove my tree and stop using it.

I'm not paranoid but do take normal procedures to prevent phishing, scams and id theft and this latest article on the Beeb made me realise that publishing such details on open websites may make it easier for id theft to occur.

Just my two-penn'orth.
    Yes such stories are often thrown around to scare the niave.
    It is not that easy to get money from UK banks and they are responsible for any losses inccurred through lax security.

Banks have known since the early 1970s that any security using the subjects you mentioned is worse than useless and would come under the heading of Negligence.

Cheers
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Harker
    I'm sorry that you haven't had much success with contacts on the GenesReunited site, as I have found quite a few. Only two days ago, a new 2nd cousin found me.

If you change your mind about removing your Tree, you could do this if you want to protect your privacy a little. If you change your name to Living (forename) Individual (surname) born Somewhere in a year only of birth, then your name wouldn't show in a blanket search.

Dennis Harker

Guy,

It wasn't just a story being thrown around. The report shown actually filmed (secretly) the investigator going into the various banks and carrying out the transaction with reasonable ease without any form of photo id. It seemed to be very easy for the investigator to withdraw cash from an account which wasn't his own. The banks' response was that this must be an isolated case - each used the same response - perhaps a ready pro-forma for such an instance. Banks are likely to claim that it is the individual's negligence for publishing what is used as security information for accounts - their terms and conditions make this clear in the small print and they have already been taken to task for refusing to pay up over some losses as a result of identity theft.

There are millions of pounds stolen using identity theft each year - I'm just trying to make it harder for them to get my identity. Use a site such as 192.com to see how easy it is to get address details of living people unless they have taken the positive action of opting out (check your electoral registration form). There is obviously a compromise level to be found, one which enables hobbies like geneaology (inc. helping others) to continue whilst keeping your individual identity details reasonably secure. I did think about using a pseudonym for my id on this site but felt that it would look as though I might have something to hide on a site such as this.

Diane, thanks for the suggestion I will look more closely at that and perhaps take up the suggestion but would it affect hot matches etc.? My disappointment with GR is really down to the contacts that have appeared for my name. A good number have appeared in hot matches, etc. and one even appears to have me listed. I have sent these contacts a message, using the site, (sometimes with a 2nd message from me) only to receive no reply whatsoever. I sometimes wonder why they have joined the group?

However, I do still have six months to go on the subscription and hope that, as the winter draws in, more contacts may come to light and bring results.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast