Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi silverday

The 1851 census has Charles as a Roler? joiner and the 'Hope' ship's log has that Charles as a carpenter so there is one similarity.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

silverday

That does sound interesting, a possibility ?
    I would like to add that someone has sent me a personal message but British Gen say there was a problem. I have not been able to view it. So please contact me again and hopefully the problem can be sorted.
    I would like everyone to know that I appreciate any input whether it bears fruit or not.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This looks like Charles' baptism. Mother's name matches the 1841/1851 census. There are others born 1834 +/-5 yrs but not with a mother Mary.
    Charles Foreman
    Christened - 25 Dec 1836
    Christened St Deny's Warminster, Wiltshire
    Mother - Mary Foreman
    Film no. 1279363

Added so we don't have to go back to the other thread The transcription has Isaac as 57 but I read it on the original as 67
    1851 HO107/1842/359/10
    Isaac Brown 57 (67?)
    Mary Brown 50 Warminster
    Louisa Brown 11 dau
    Charles Foreman 13 son in law (stepson) Roler? Joiner Warminster
    Mary Brown 2 dau
    Might not pay to get too carried away with the 'joiner' bit.
    Quite a few other occupations seem to involve weaving, so the 'roler joiner' could refer to someone joining rolls of cloth. Found one list of old occupations which says a roller coverer is someone who covered the rollers for the spinning process.

Quote Originally Posted by silverday View Post
    That does sound interesting, a possibility ?
    I would like to add that someone has sent me a personal message but British Gen say there was a problem. I have not been able to view it. So please contact me again and hopefully the problem can be sorted.
    I would like everyone to know that I appreciate any input whether it bears fruit or not.
    To update everyone, the 'someone' was me and silverday has now seen my message.

One of the shipping records?
    Charles Foreman- age 23, born c1832, a carpenter, on the Ship 'Hope' destination Port Phillip Melbourne Victoria.
    Have you got a year for that shipping record, Christina?

Pam

silverday

Do you know I hadnt even noted his occupation. I wonder if anyone knows exactly what that meant, I will look in to that further. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

silverday

It is true that the term could have been to do with the woollen trade as Westbury & Bradford on Avon had a lot of that type of industry. Plus Isaac and his daughter Louisa were both in that line of work.

silverday

The baptism is right. However another decendent visited Westbury and found various documentation that showed Charles had been born around the same time as his fathers death, unsure as to why Mary waited so long to have him baptised.

Sorry, the shipping record is 1855. I will go back and add it to my post.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by silverday View Post
    The baptism is right. However another decendent visited Westbury and found various documentation that showed Charles had been born around the same time as his fathers death, unsure as to why Mary waited so long to have him baptised.
    As always, it now seems to come down to 'show me the proof'. I think Charles is more likely to have been born in 1836.

This looks like Charles' baptism. Mother's name matches the 1841/1851 census. There are others born 1834 +/-5 yrs but not with a mother Mary.
    Charles Foreman
    Christened - 25 Dec 1836
    Christened St Deny's Warminster, Wiltshire
    Mother - Mary Foreman
    Film no. 1279363
    That would match very neatly with Charles' age in the 1841 census.

HO107/1188/5 folio 15 page 2
    Westbury Wiltshire
    Isaac Brown, 55, sloper /woollen
    Mary Brown, 38.
    Martha Foreman, 15,
    Chas Foreman, 4
    Louise Brown, 1 year 6 months
    All born in county

And almost neatly with his given age of 13 in 1851.
    I usually find that people born with five years of a census have a fairly accurate age given in the first census after their birth, It's only in later census that the age starts to differ by more than one or two years.

There is also the evidence that Charles' baptism record shows only his mother, Mary. Often a sign of illegitimacy when the mother has been married and her husband died before he could have been the father of the child. It does depend on the individual vicar but often when the child was known to be legitimate the register will say something along the lines of 'son of Freda and the late Marmaduke Smith.

Pam

One of the shipping records?
    Charles Foreman- age 23, born c1832, a carpenter, on the Ship 'Hope' destination Port Phillip Melbourne Victoria.

Christina

Added: The date for this record is 1855.
    I checked the 1851 England census for Charles Foreman born anywhere 1832 +/- 1 year, and then checked the occupation.

Possible contender for Charles -
    In 1851, Charles Foreman, 19, carpenter apprentice, born and living in Cranbrook Kent.
    Not found on Ancestry in 1861, using a search for Charles (no surname) born in Cranbrook in 1832+/-5 years

Though there is death registration December quarter 1853 Maidstone registration district (Cranbrook is in Maidstone district).
    The death could also refer to (from the 1851 census) Charles Foreman resides in Maidstone, Charles Forman in Maidstone and Ulcombe. (All places in Maidstone registration district.) Haven't checked whether those Charles are still alive in 1861.

Pam (now off to do some very neglected housework )

silverday

I have to admit to being somewhat suspicious of Charles birth year. His father died July 15th 1834, Mary could have been 'just pregnant' making Charles born around April 1835. or maybe he was born to someone else.
    just a footnote that Isaac brown was 74 years of age when he died in the Workhouse, quite a bit older than Mary. Somewhere I have some more records of Mary, cannot lay my hand on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12