Default RAF Records Mystery

I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I am trying to find out more about my late grandfathers military career. From what my family tell me, he was in the RAF during World War 1, which means he would have lied about his age to enlist (he was born in 1903). I'm not sure where he was based during his time, but I suspect it was around the North Wales/Cheshire area, as he married his first wife in 1922 in Holywell, Flintshire. His wedding certificate states he was a airman.

An uncle informs me that during would war 2 he was working for the RAF, but my dad believes he work as a civil servant at Sealand Airfield.

I can't seem to find anything to back up any of this information and have exhausted all resources I know of. I've looked at the Airman records in TNA, military records on this site as well as ancestry and genealogist.

I would like to apply for his service record with the MOD, but would need his service number, etc.

Can anyone suggest where else I can look? Any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be great.

Thanks!

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

can you post his full name?

John Levesley Poole. born in Leicester 1903

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

looked on fmp in the 1918 raf muster roll,,,,there are a few J.Poole no J L Poole and no info in the records to distinguish them,,,sorry.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

With his full name and date and place of birth, you probably only need his death and you should have enough information to apply for his records. Don't worry about the service number.

regards

Robert

Hello

As Robert says, for your father's WW11 record which are still with the MOD - if any - you do not need his service number but you will need his death certificate. If you follow this link you will find help on where and how to order the records (at a cost)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs