Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hbradshaw1985

Default Old WW1 photograph - regiment identification?

I have this battered old photograph I believe to be from WW1 - my grandad's aunt was engaged to a soldier in the picture Alfred Wood - although we do not know which he is. I do know that he died at some point during the war but again have no more information. Is it possible to tell the regiment by identifying anything on the picture? A Postcard also sent by him has an image of the 'Courts of Justice, Khartoum' which is stamped 1915.
    I would like to try and find out more about this Alfred Wood.

Thanks,
    Helen

thewideeyedowl

Default CWGC

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists 309 men named Alfred Wood who died and are commemorated. This is the link: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1. You say that there might be a clue suggesting that he was in Egypt/Sudan. I suggest you scroll through the list to see if any of those men are commemorated in that area. Also, if you click on a name, some more info will come up, e.g names of parents/wife, home area, which might help a bit.

This will be a long job, but it might give you some leads.

Also, have you found 'your' Alfred in the 1911 census?

Swooping off now.

Owl

hbradshaw1985

Thanks Owl, I will use the website to see if I can select a few possibles. I think Alfred Wood would have been born/living in Manchester as that is where my family were based and where he would have met his fiance at the time. With it being such a common name I have been unable to pinpoint him in the census (a few to choose from!)

One Alfred Wood is buried in a cemetery in Manchester and so wondered if Alfred could have died at home? Here are the details;
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...WOOD,%20ALFRED

How can I find out where that specific regiment served?

Thanks again,
    Helen

thewideeyedowl

Default The Long Long Trail

Hi Helen

The Long Long Trail is always a good place to start. Here's the link for the RFA: https://www.1914-1918.net/cra.htm. And, of course, click around this engrossing website to discover all sorts of things.....

Well, it's potentially useful that you know that 'your' Alfred might have been from the Manchester area. That's something (even if it turns out to be wrong!), because you've got to start somewhere.

Was your great-aunt also from that area? And can you find her in the 1911 census? It could give some clues. (One wise member of Brit Gen always advises then looking three doors down, because that is often where you will find the one you want!) Also, when was great-aunt born? Then look for an Alfred whose birth is within five years. My guess - and it is only a guess- is that you will be looking for an Alfred born between 1884 and 1896.

Let us know if you can find anything hopeful. Plus, I am sure that a forum member who knows about uniforms will probably be along to help.

Owl

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The following are only observations and must not be taken as gospel. There are two men who appear to be wearing fleur de lys badges on their helmets, this was adopted by the 1/7th Battalion of the Manchester Regt. during WW1, prior to being adopted as the official badge of the Regt. in 1922.

In 1915 the 1/7th were sationed in Khartoum, one of their functions was to act as guards on the armoured trains. Now if you look at the photograph again, it is possible to see the side rails of the wagon they are in are formed from railway tracks, which would offer some protection, as would the machine gun.

I might be putting a number of clues together and coming up with completely the wrong answer - on the other hand I might be right!

Martin

hbradshaw1985

Thanks Owl, yes my grandad's aunt was from the Manchester and I do have her on the 1911 census so I will search a few street either side and see if it turns up anything! Thanks for the links too I will have a look

Martin - thanks for your observations - well done on spotting anything on the helmets I had missed that completely! I could only really spot industrial looking things in the background and that bomb or shell someone has on their shoulder. There isn't a machine gun there is there?
    1/7th Battalion of the Manchester Regt. will be what I try and research next Martin as I definately know he was in Khartoum in 1915 (he sent a card to thank his fiance's mother for sending him out a cake!!) - apparently still very moist after sch a long journey!
    I now need to find an Alfred Wood within that regt! Thanks both very much and I will let you know if I can find out anymore.
    Helen

Helen

The machine gun is resting on the sergeants right shoulder. Best of luck with your quest.

Martin

hbradshaw1985

oh the sergeant is the one with the band on his arm?

Those are his three sergeant's stripes.

hbradshaw1985

Well thanks Martin, I've learnt something new :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast