Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Martinwwhite

Default Fatal road accident, Seaton 1978

Hi all,

My half brother Kevin John Sully (b1957) was killed in a road accident on 29/7/1978 in Seaton. I was 5 at the time and never really knew Kevin. I am looking for more information on where and how Kevin died.

I submitted a FOI request to Devon & Cornwall Police, but they have responded that it would take too long to find the record, if it even exists still.

I have searched the britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk, but all the copy for Devon seems to stop at 1950. I know there was a news clipping in a regional newspaper reporting the accident, I have heard my sister mention it.

Anyone have any idea where else I can look for details on this?

thanks

Martin

thewideeyedowl

Default Pulman's Weekly News (now defunct)

Hi Martin

The accident would have been reported in Pulman's Weekly News, which covers this area of the most eastern part of Devon. It was owned, I believe, by Tindle publishing (or something like that). When it became defunct, it was merged to become a free 'View from... ' tabloid. This series of papers is run by Philip Evans of PE Media, based in Lyme Regis. Several local issues are published each week, e.g. View from Seaton/Axminster/Colyton/Honiton/Sidmouth.

You will find the website at this address: www dot viewfrompublishing dot co dot uk. (The site carries a lot of adverts, so I cannot link to it.) In Contact Us, you will find the email address.

I suggest that you email them and ask if there are archives from 1978. It is good that you can give them so much info - name, date etc. The accident would probably have been reported in an issue that came out in early August. The 'View from...' people MIGHT know if there are any extant print copies available. And if a print copy could be located, you might be able to get a scan of the relevant page of the issue.

Well, an awful lot of 'if's there, so happy hunting!

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default Devon county highways

Me again...

The police are likely to keep accident records for only about ten years, which puts 1978 out of the frame. But I have just found out (from a retired policeman) that the county's highways authority is likely to keep records for much longer, because of the need to monitor and assess for road safety. So you could try to contact Devon county highways, which would - I think - have to be via the Devon website (devon.gov.uk, or something like that).

Do you know if the accident took place within the little town of Seaton or, more likely, the general area? A place known as Stafford Straight has been the scene of many accidents - people try to overtake recklessly on this straight stretch.

Owl

Martinwwhite

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    Me again...

The police are likely to keep accident records for only about ten years, which puts 1978 out of the frame. But I have just found out (from a retired policeman) that the county's highways authority is likely to keep records for much longer, because of the need to monitor and assess for road safety. So you could try to contact Devon county highways, which would - I think - have to be via the Devon website (devon.gov.uk, or something like that).

Do you know if the accident took place within the little town of Seaton or, more likely, the general area? A place known as Stafford Straight has been the scene of many accidents - people try to overtake recklessly on this straight stretch.

Owl
    Hi Owl,

I can still remember roughly what the place looked like. I was 6. We went there a week or two afterwards so my mum could see the scene. I remember we drove down from Langport and asked at the police station in Seaton where it had happened. (No Family Liaison Officers in those days!)

I'll try Highways, but will also try that site you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Martin

Ken_R

Martin. An unfortunate occurrence and I can understand why you wish to learn more.

Me again...

But I have just found out (from a retired policeman) that the county's highways authority is likely to keep records for much longer, because of the need to monitor and assess for road safety.
    Mmm. Thinking back to that era, it was likely to have been no more than a double sided A5 sheet with tick boxes. It changed in the 80's, but still remained a 'tick box' exercise, with names not being recorded.

Police Officers have/always had, documentation 'desired' by 'other agencies' that is considered another time wasting encumbrance which achieves nothing and is little more than 'form filling'.

Your best bet would be for the Coroner's Office for the area. Even then, you'd probably only get a precis of the evidence and the ruling. They'd be unlikely to identify persons giving evidence at the Inquest.

My advice would be to pursue the Newspaper links already given.

thewideeyedowl

Have just realised that the accident would also have been reported in the Express & Echo, which is the long-established evening paper covering Exeter and East Devon. Just run a search for (Exeter AND Express & Echo). On their website, there is a digital archive going back to 2010(!), so you will have to contact them to see if they can find anything for 1978.

They would also have reported the inquest a few months later, so ask about that too.

I'm sure you will be able to find something somewhere out there.

Owl

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Martin,
    Often the local library holds copies of the local papers so it might be worth asking Seaton library if they hold any. (Google for the contact details.)

Following links from the local history studies at Seaton library I eventually ended up here. https://www.
    devon.gov.uk/newspaper-collections
    Quite a steep charge (I'd almost go so far as to say that they were taking the proverbial) at £10 for every newspaper you want them to look in. (Other libraries will search for half an hour for that price.) Unless you can get to one of the newspaper-holding offices yourself a researcher should be much cheaper.

The record centres should be able to tell you which papers would be the most likely to have published details of the accident.

Pam

Martinwwhite

I've spoken to the Express & Echo, they say they don't have anything that far back. Their recommendation is Exeter Library.

Martinwwhite

Hi Martin

The accident would have been reported in Pulman's Weekly News, which covers this area of the most eastern part of Devon. It was owned, I believe, by Tindle publishing (or something like that). When it became defunct, it was merged to become a free 'View from... ' tabloid. This series of papers is run by Philip Evans of PE Media, based in Lyme Regis. Several local issues are published each week, e.g. View from Seaton/Axminster/Colyton/Honiton/Sidmouth.

You will find the website at this address: www dot viewfrompublishing dot co dot uk. (The site carries a lot of adverts, so I cannot link to it.) In Contact Us, you will find the email address.

I suggest that you email them and ask if there are archives from 1978. It is good that you can give them so much info - name, date etc. The accident would probably have been reported in an issue that came out in early August. The 'View from...' people MIGHT know if there are any extant print copies available. And if a print copy could be located, you might be able to get a scan of the relevant page of the issue.

Well, an awful lot of 'if's there, so happy hunting!

Owl
    Unfortunately ViewFrom are a dead end. They said the Pulmans copies going back that far are at the Somerset Heritage Centre.

Devonmade

You could always try the Western Morning News a daily paper covering both Devon and Cornwall.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast