Thread: RAF Doniford

richirichnot

Default RAF Doniford

Hi to all, my name is Richard,ex RAF 1984-1997 mt driver. A friend of mine has asked me if I could maybe find any info on his real dad. All I have to go on is that his name was Norman Gillies or Gillis, born in Dundee (we think), served at RAF Doniford in 1947, met a naffi girl caled Margaret Luck before he was posted away again, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, there was a Norman Bain Gillies in the SOE but as yet I have no info on this chaps background at all, thanks again Richard R8228491

Welcome to British-Genealogy Richard

WW11 service records are still held by the MOD. This stickie explains who can apply for them, where and how.

Is your friend hoping to make contact with his father or does he know he has died? The Brit-Gen AUP explains about our ban on naming living people so if any member is able to help then using the private message system may be the way to go.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a probate record on ancestry.

Norman Gillies
    Probate Date - 2 Jul 1963
    Died 28 Mar 1963
    At Dundee, Scotland
    Registered London, England

It says Norman Gillies of The Rowans Molison Street Dundee. Confirmation of James Gillies

Christina
    William Burroughs

The death record is on the pay per view site ScotlandsPeople and they say
    "Online access to images is restricted to those over 50 years for deaths, in accordance with NRS policy, to protect the privacy of individuals.
    Images of Statutory deaths from 1855 to 1963 are available to view on this site. A digital image is a scan of the microfiche copy of the original register page containing the entry in which you are interested. It therefore contains the same information you would normally see when looking at the actual record. Images are Crown copyright; however, they are not official copies. "

So if this is your man his death registration details are available to download on line after buying some credits because it is over the 50 year limit.

Christina
    William Burroughs

richirichnot

Default norman gillies

Hi Christina many thanks for your help, this is a good to base things on cheers Richard

richirichnot

sorry I got the name of the naafi girl wrong it was Beryl Blanche Luck, not Margaret Luck in 1947

TomBen

Hi Richard,

Post WW2 you will find it very difficult to research Military Personnel due to the restriction of resources placed by the MoD.

I would suggest having a look at Forces Reunited: www.forcesreunited.org.uk It is a Veterans Community site for members of the British Armed Forces, there's over a million registered members so maybe you'll strike it lucky.

Other than that I really don't know what to suggest.

Regards,

Tom

richirichnot

thanks christina still pluging away

richirichnot

cheers mate