Default JOSEPH LYONS 1826-1904-SARAH DAVIS 1826-1904

This new thread is the beginning of sifting and sorting out the various Lyons individuals who relate to my Levey; Jacobs and Hart lines. The Lyons appear on several family trees but there is no confirmed data which links all the families together if indeed they do all relate. My Jacobs distant relatives for example, have Catherine Lyons b abt 1824-1880 who married Emanuel Pesman See Synagogue Scribes GSMa 075/22 30 Jan 1848- her father's Hebrew name Aleksander. Interestingly, an Advanced name search using the first name Aleksander does reveal possible links to other Lyons/Lion individuals- as an example Elizabeth Lyons GSM2 201/94 14 August 1856 married Joseph Jacobs. Whether or not Catherine and Elizabeth are sisters remains to be confirmed.
    In this post I will focus on Joseph Lyons and Sarah Davis because they appear on one family tree which also has my Levey/Lyons/ Hart relatives.
    Synagogue Scribes GSM2 137/47 has the marriage of Joseph Lyons on 23 June 1852 father's Hebrew name Shlomeh to Sarah DAVIES -father's Hebrew name Abraham. This Abraham Davis 1800-1873 married Catherine Harris 1895-1871 and was the Beadle of the Great Synagogue. The death of his wife Catherine aka Kate and his own death is recorded in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999 Publisher Robert Boyd- Death 1 Bull Court Whitechapel 24.3.1871 Kate Davis age 74; Death 30.3.1873 at 1 Bull Court Middlesex Street age 74 after a painful illness.. He was a faithful servant for forty years of the Great Synagogue and the last of three generations that fulfilled the same office- his son Isaac Davis and his Mrs I Simmons sister are recorded in the message. Isaac Davis is later referred to as presenting a new Spher Torah to the Great Synagogue in memory of his father Abraham Davis beadle of the Great Synagogue.
    I will post further on Joseph Lyons/Sarah Davis

Phillip

Default ABRAHAM DAVIS -CATHERINE HARRIS

In this follow up post here is data on Abraham Davis 1800-1873 and his wife Catherine Harris parents of Sarah Davis. Synagogue Scribes has a record of the marriage of Abraham Davis and Catherine Harris- GSM210/36 -5 June 1822- Abraham Davis -father's Hebrew name Isaac Eizak- Catherine Harris father's Hebrew name Pinchas Zelig. Other records indicate possible siblings of both Abraham and Catherine. There are the marriages of Elias Davis to Esther Davis GSM 235/11 in 1825 where both have the same Hebrew father's names as Abraham and Catherine. Similarly, in the case of Harris there are marriages of Samuel Harris to Phoebe Isaacs GM 293/15 in 1834; Joseph Harris to Elizabeth Levy GSM246/29 in 1827. Confirmation is required to identify that these individual Harris and Davis relate.
    The parents of Abraham Davis are recorded on some family trees as Isaac Davis 1768-1822 and Leah Lemplik b abt 1787. I have not confirmed this data.
    There are also records which show the line of Isaac Davis 1830-1913 son of Abraham and Catherine and the marriage of Isaac to Hannah Nathan 1832-1903.

More data to follow.
    Phillip

As a follow up to #1 here is census data relating to Joseph Lyons including his mother and siblings:
    1841 Census HO107 710 14 20 6 (Crown Copyright,TNA) Wentworth St ChristChurch Spitalfields
    Hannah Lyons 40 General Dealer Not born in county; Esther Lyons 20 General DFealer b in county; Joseph Lyons 15 General Dealer b in county; Abraham Lyons 6mths b in county.
    The 1851 Census for the family appears to be missing and there is no record in the 1841 Census of Solomon Lyons husband of Hannah being present in the household. A Death Index record for Solomon Lyons Sept qtr 1849 Whitechapel 2 862 has been cited in some family trees but a death certificate would be required for full confirmation.
    1861 Census 12 a Gravel Lane Christchurch Surrey RG9 313 148 27 (Crown Copyright,TNA)- Joseph Lyons H M 30? General Dealer b Middx Whitechapel; Sarah wife 32 b Bishopsgate; Hannah Lyons mother 70 b London; Esther Lyons sister u Needlework b Whitechapel; Catherine Lyons dau 8 b Surrey Christchurch; Esther Lyons dau 5? 3 ? b Surrey Christchurch; Rachel Lyons dau 1 b Surrey, Christchurch- the ages for some individuals are difficult to read
    1871 Census -10 Church Lane (East Side) St Mary Whitechapel RG10 20 54 23 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Joseph Lyons H M 40 General Dealer b Middx Spitalfields; Sarah wife 42 b Bishopsgate; Kate dau 17 b Southwark;Esther dau 13 b Southwark; Solomon son 9 b Whitechapel; Lizzie dau 5 b Whitechapel; Esther HARRIS boarder widow 47 b Spitalfields +1 servant
    1881 Census 260 High St Poplar RG11 510 58 23 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Joseph Lyons H widower 50 Green Grocer b Spitalfields; Kate u dau 25 Assistant b Southwark; Esther u dau 23 Assistant greengrocer b Southwark; Solomon son u 17 b Whitechapel; Elizabeth dau u 14 b Whitecahpel; Esther Harris sister widow 58 General Dealer b Spitalfields
    1891 Census- 330 Battersea Park Rd Battersea RG12 431 104 5 (Crown Copright,TNA)
    Joseph Lyons H W 59 General Dealer b London Spitalfields; Kate da s 36 Assistant b Southwark; Esther dau s 34 Assistant b Southwark; Elizabeth dau s 24 Assistant b Whitecahpel; Esther Harris sister widow 65 Assistant b Spitalfields
    1901 Census -586 Kings Rd Fulham RG 13 59 21 4 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Joseph Lyons H W 70 General Dealer b Spitalfields; Kate dau s 45 Fancy wool work b Souhwark; Esther dau s 42 Fancy Woolwork b Southwark; Elizabeth dau s 30 Fancy wool work b Whitechapel

Phillip

Seems that Samuel Lyons who married into my NATHAN line is not a child of this Joseph LYONS. Well he is way down the list of people I intend to research so he will just have to wait
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time