AnthonyH

Default Wrights of Shercock, Cavan

I am researching Samuel Wright.

Born in Swanlinbar in 1834 But family lived in Shercock Cavan.
    Attended King William's College (KWC), Isle of Man from August 1843 - May 1844.
    Emigrated to Australia in 1847where he joined the gold rush of the 1840s.
    Married Elizabeth Ogden Whitehead in Stanley Victoria 16 Feb 1869.
    Died Stockdale Victoria Australia 13 Feb 1916.

Bilberryrock

My name is Arnold James Wright.
    I have only just come across your post while researching my family tree.
    I am one of the Wrights of Shercock.
    I am at a very early stage in my research but if I can be of any assistance please contact me.
    I understand that a Samuel Wright, yet to be confirmed, emigrated to Australia in the early to mid 1800's.
    There may well be a connection.

AnthonyH

Dear Arnold,
    I am very pleased to hear from you.
    Please read my Wright story beginning at
    https://www.users.on.net/~ahvem/page3/page11/page11.html

Then we can try and find connections.

Tony

Bilberryrock

Tony
    Your story makes very interesting reading.
    I know, from some notes left by a great Aunt, that our ancestors arrived with Cromwells army in the 1600's.
    Given that I am only starting my research and the state of the Irish records, it may be some time before I can verify the information I have.
    If I can establish a link or find any new information I will be in touch.

Regards
    Arnold

AnthonyH

Dear Arnold,
    Any further news?

Tony

Bilberryrock

Tony

I have now researched back as far as 1810.
    In 1810 my Great Grand parents were living in Kingscourt, Co Cavan. It would appear that they did not travel the seven miles to Shercock until approx. 1890.
    The hard work is still to come in finding reliable records to take me back beyond 1800.
    I have a complete list of all of the records that may be available and it will simply be a question of picking my way through what exists. I have a number of loose ends to tidy up before tackling the next stage.
    I will keep you posted if anything arises.

Arnie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Am writing from Mull River, Nova Scotia where two brothers William and James Wright of County Cavan settled in 1812-1819 time period. William had been in military. James was married to a Henrietta(or Hannah). The names Samuel, James, William, Eliza, Margaret,
    Hannah, John were common in the family for generations. They were Presbyterians.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

James

Your post is very interesting.
    I have not been able to track down my Great Great Grandfather who would have been born circa 1790.
    You have given me a number of other names I can research in due course which may lead me to him.
    It could be that his brothers emigrated, as the time suggested in you post would be about right.
    The other thing is that the christian names you mention are all family names. The generation born to my Great Grandfather and his wife included many of the names to which you refer:- John,Lizzie, Emily, Sara, Eliza, Jane.
    Incidentally, there was another family of Wrights living in Shercock at this time. Google " Wrights of Shercock". There is no family connection, yet some of the christian names are similar.